Author Topic: Gold Plating R9 Patrs  (Read 8384 times)

Offline R9_fan

Gold Plating R9 Patrs
« on: July 07, 2019, 08:16:58 PM »
I purchased my second R9, a standard black frame unit in September 2009 with a selected S/N hoping to do a custom display piece but 10 years have gone by and its still in the original box.  Time to get the show on the road!!!

I would like to have the standard finish Slide, Trigger & Magazine Release Lever either 22 Ct. Gold Plated or the much more durable Titanium Nitride (Bright Gold Finish) Vapor Deposition.

Can anyone recommend a gun smith or trusty shop that can properly clean and gold finish the three pieces?

The second phase is making a display case for hanging on the Man Cave Wall and I'd like a photo of one of the 16 Premium Elite factory R9 walnut display cases to get a rough idea on the size, depth, how it was mounted, etc.

Any help is well appreciated!

I'm keeping my 1st R9 Stealth (March 2009) for carry.

Offline R9_fan

Re: Gold Plating R9 Patrs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
UPDATE:

I have located a Gunsmith in Sarasota Florida who 1005 disassembled.

I have located an experienced Titanium Nitride (TiN)PVD source to do the necessary  "Gold" plating on my 17 pieces.

When the project is completed I will post photos and give an evaluation on the the TiN source for anyone interested.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »
I look forward to seeing it and the display case.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
Should be very nice.  Can't wait to see the pictures.  Did they give you a timeframe on how long they think it's going to take?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »
A friend of mine had this Auto Mag done up.

Let's just say it's not my style.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 08:12:45 PM »
While it may not be your style M, it certainly looks well done.
I do like the look and the work. But that's just me.
I guess I like it when someone does nice custom work on firearms. 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »
R9_fan: I live in Sarasota. If I can be of any help, feel free to ask.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »

Woodward Dream Cruise is in a few weeks.  A lot of the cars are not my style, but I still appreciate that there's a lot of sweet machinery out there that people are really passionate about.  Metallic purple GTO?  I wouldn't own it, but somebody buffs it with a cotton diaper every night.  I wouldn't carry a gold R9, but I definitely want to see lots of pics. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 03:29:11 PM »

Woodward Dream Cruise is in a few weeks.  A lot of the cars are not my style, but I still appreciate that there's a lot of sweet machinery out there that people are really passionate about.  Metallic purple GTO?  I wouldn't own it, but somebody buffs it with a cotton diaper every night.  I wouldn't carry a gold R9, but I definitely want to see lots of pics.

Ha haa. . . . Sounds good Phil. . . . . . The cars too! I Love machinery!
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline R9_fan

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »
I have been a Forum Member since purchasing my 1st R9 in 2009... website not working very well.

I finally have my R9 S/N 4007 "For 007 MI6 Special Agent James Bond" completed for showcasing almost 10 years since I purchased it on 9-30-09.

Sorry, I have tried 3 times to upload a photo(s) and the 1536KB is not letting even one photo through.

The TiN PVD was done by "TiGuN" a.k.a. Coating Services Group 11649 Riverside Drive, Lakeside CA 92040 (Contact Nathan Grant)

I highly recommend TiGuN because  their prices were very competitive, their attention to detail and quality is fabulous and their turn-around was two weeks.

My gunsmith for the intricate disassembly and re-assembly was Francisco at High Noon in Sarasota FL and he is very meticulous and thorough.

The Kevlar (gold) and Carbon (black) fiber grips were custom made in 2009 by forum member Curt Dane.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
If you have a smartphone, one quick solution for the photo size is to text the photos to yourself.  If it's a Samsung, the messaging app automatically shrinks the photo for faster messaging.  You then save the texted image back to your phone and you now have a smaller size image that is more forum friendly.  I'm not sure if iPhone messaging shrinks the image size.  If the image is on your PC, you have to add a step by emailing the images to yourself from the PC, then opening the email on your phone and saving them to the phone.  The whole process takes about 60 seconds if you've done it before.

Offline R9_fan

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 12:43:06 PM »
Here's my #4007 in the display box and a photo of the #4007 versus my #3840 Stealth.

BTW; Curt Dane made the Carbon Fiber all black grips shown on the Stealth also.

The contact info for "TiGuN" is www.titaniumgun.com and (619) 596-7444

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 10:28:39 PM »
Now THAT is a sweet R9 Pistol there!

A nice gun!

~

Eric R.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 06:07:54 PM »
I like that you left the frame black.  Looks good.