Author Topic: t have R9 Slide Lock (unlock via slide; Not Lever)  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Luso

t have R9 Slide Lock (unlock via slide; Not Lever)
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
I'm new at the Forum.

So, my greetings to you all.

It seems to me that a nice simple feature as a slide lock, unlockable via slide reward pull, would be a plus to the R9.

Another nice feature would be an automatic slide release when a loaded magazine is inserted in to the weapon.

I have a 9mm H&K USP that automatically releases the slide when I insert a loaded magazine into the weapon (of course that the slide must be retracted and holded on the catch and I must slam tha mag in).

Some say it is the slide catch that is worn out. I love this feature.

R9 could do the same, except that it shoudn't require slamming the mag.

So, fast reloads, and no bulky slide catch release levers!

As for the magazine release, just keep it the way it is.

But the mahazine should have a litle tip as the Walther's P 38 to help extraction.

This way one could use the Walther P38 user's trick: Just slam at the base of the magazine, in a rear movement, with the index finger of your support hand, at a 90º agle (just forming a hook with your finger at a horizontal level).

This way, the mag releases enough in order as to be "hooked" down at it's front and gragged down untill it falls.

These two movements may be perfomed in a split second.

Now you shoud have a reward locked slide, and a R9 ready to be reloaded.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards from Portugal.

Luso
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: t have R9 Slide Lock (unlock via slide; Not Le
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
Where in Portugal, Luso? I lived in Cascais for two years.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:38:04 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »
Lusco.  Welcome to the Forum from the United States.  Haven't been to Portugal; have been to Brazil, although I know that's a long way from Portugal.  Post often.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Luso

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »
Thank you all for the welcoming.

Luso
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline rodell

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
I, too, would like a slide lock.  The protrusion wouldn't bother me.  It would make reloads and keeping track of empty magazines easier.

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
I, too, would like a slide lock.  The protrusion wouldn't bother me.  It would make reloads and keeping track of empty magazines easier.

+1

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
Luso

Welcome to the forum.

I don't see a need for a slide lock. It is one more thing to go wrong.

I like it just the way it is. KISS keep it simple stupid. ;D

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
Certainly Karl considered this in designing the R-9.

I THINK his answer to this would be that the R-9 was not designed to be reloaded in a fight, and that the "slimness" and simplicity were deemed more important.

I am not an expert, but I would think that any gun that releases the slide (on a regular basis) when a loaded mag is inserted is out of spec.  My Glocks will do that on occasion with a vigorous insertion, but I am not aware of this being an intended feature on any mainstream pistol.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »
Luso, welcome to the group.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 01:20:13 AM »
Certainly Karl considered this in designing the R-9.

I THINK his answer to this would be that the R-9 was not designed to be reloaded in a fight, and that the "slimness" and simplicity were deemed more important.

I am not an expert, but I would think that any gun that releases the slide (on a regular basis) when a loaded mag is inserted is out of spec.  My Glocks will do that on occasion with a vigorous insertion, but I am not aware of this being an intended feature on any mainstream pistol.

Exactly correct.  HK's are not designed to release the slide with a vigorous insertion.  I own several and none will do that.  Euro versions, however, can be different to be sure and even in some cases have different parts i.e. the lock on the mainspring on USP and USPc and the slide stop levers on the P2000 series which are very flat and unobtrusive on the Euros.

I think the points made about the Rohrbaugh not being intended to be reloaded quickly and being designed for compact size and lightweight have the merit here.  He could have put in a slide stop, auto hold open and a different mag release but if he did, then he would have a very expensive Kahr PM9 made of aluminum.    The reason most of us opted for a mini gun that is retail priced at about $100 and ounce is because of it's miniscule size and concealability, not to mention the quality.    You couldn't even begin to sell this pistol to people who weren't really in need of those features simply because of the cost.   Sig now makes a pistol, the 290 which has those features but it is not as light or compact as the Rohrbaugh or for that matter even the as light as the Kahr PM9.   Sig is slightly bigger and heavier.  Some will like it and extoll it's virtues far and wide.  But try as they might they will not convince those of us who already found what we wanted in a Rohrbaugh.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms