Author Topic: "freezing"  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
"freezing"
« on: December 16, 2005, 02:24:06 AM »
This idea kinda started in a PM exchange on the forum in reference to being charged, but I thought it seemed relevant -- how do you get yourself to instinctively draw your gun, as opposed to trying to meet the threat physically?  I'm thinking about a "stunt" someone pulled on me when fencing, where he just ran right at me -- I froze for a second, and he scored a touch -- if he had been smart, he would have saved that idea, since it didn't work again on me, or, probably, anyone observing our match -- I had been told that some people used that technique, but I still froze the first time I saw it  (For those of you not familiar w. fencing -- running straight at someone is about the dumbest thing you could do -- leaves every target area open, and unable to be defended.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: "freezing"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:10:50 AM »
Brad:

I know what you mean.  I think the answer is to stay in "Code Yellow" as much as possible and move to "Code Orange" at the first indication of a problem.  And, of course, practice, practice, practice....

I fenced back in college (French foil) and once saw that "charge" technique attempted by another student on the team.  That fellow wasn't so lucky.  And it didn't help that his opponent at the time was the Maestro himself.  As I recall the event, the Maestro met the charge by stripping the foil from the poor guy's hand and flinging it across the room.  That was also the way the Maestro usually ended one of his lessons -- stripping your foil from your hand.  (He preferred the Italian foil and was an Olympic coach in those days -- very, very good, he was.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:14:14 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 10:49:49 AM »
Brad,

During drawing  practice, I think it would be useful to vividly imagine various circumstances, which would include the bad person charging toward you.

I realize nothing would quite prepare for the horror of an actual event.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 11:51:59 AM »
I think proper training would teach one to dodge or retreat to gain distance while also accessing your weapon to defend and using weak hand to fend off if needed.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »
Why not take one of the better self-defense courses like
Gunsite, maybe. Perhaps it would result in a little perception
expansion and heighten the awareness antennae.

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 12:56:02 PM »
Sorry, but I just had an image of you suddenly drawing your gun during a fencing match.  Then quickly scoring a point while your opponent was frozen with terror.

Of course you might get arrented for brandishing, and banned from fencing forever, but it still makes a priceless image in my mind.

I used that charge trick in wrestling once... the whistle blew and I threw myself across the mat at my opponent, who instinctively stepped out of the ring.  I scored the point.  It was the only point I scored that match, though, as I was a new freshman wrestler, and had been moved up a weight class to fill an empty spot, and my opponent was a senior.  He massacred me.  But as seasoned as he was, he still fell for that trick, which says something.

There's no way I know of to always expect the unexpected, but lots of practice and visualizing every possible situation will probably help.  Most times in a parking lot these days, I have a baby in one arm and packages in the other, and as I walk to the car I am always running through the plan for how I will get out my gun if necessary--- it's just a little mental exercise that I do as a logistics puzzle.  But the more important factor is being aware of who is around so that I'm not trapped between cars or in a situation where I might have to draw in the first place.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »
Reaction to surprise is so often causative of delay - hesitation.

Only way I can see to guard against this is as Richard says - con' yellow all the way - has to be.  Even then warning may be very brief but even a small edge in critical sitautions can be  very beneficial.

Hopefully none of us will ever be put to the ultimate test but - certainly familiarity with draw - total intimacy with your gun's manual of arms - such that it comes to hand with no need for conscious thought.  After which then it's all down to split second decision-making.

This is something I reckon many of us give considerable thought to - I know I do.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 09:40:49 PM »
Reaction to surprise is so often causative of delay - hesitation.

Only way I can see to guard against this is as Richard says - con' yellow all the way - has to be.  Even then warning may be very brief but even a small edge in critical sitautions can be  very beneficial.

Hopefully none of us will ever be put to the ultimate test but - certainly familiarity with draw - total intimacy with your gun's manual of arms - such that it comes to hand with no need for conscious thought.  After which then it's all down to split second decision-making.

This is something I reckon many of us give considerable thought to - I know I do.

I agree..

In order to react in a timely manner,"Yellow" is the condition..

If we carry,we must be aware of our surroundings at all times..

IMO,any classes that one can take,can only make you more aware of what to do in case things are going "awry" :)

Practice is great as always!! ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 03:45:52 AM »
All valid points -- had an ATF party this weekend, mainly an introduction to guns for acquaintences that aren't that familiar with guns -- got to talking with some of my buddies that were out there, and we started talking through how to go through certain situations, worked on drawing from a briefcase, etc -- If anyone else is using a briefcase carry, make sure it is one that doesn't let the gun move around -- I haven't had an insert made for mine yet, and it takes too long to try and get the gun in position if it moves around -- a big benefit of it, though, is you can put your hand on your gun w/o too much attention -- we started talking about a big point, in our opinion, was if you could get access to your gun w.o creating attention
    One of the favorite points of the R9S in the pocket, is that you can put your hand on it, and no one knows what your up to -- also, don't carry a wallet, switch to a money clip, and an R9, in a Hedley back pocket holster in front will pat down like a wallet -- and if there's no wallet, you don't have to explain why you have two.  
    The soft-sided briefcase also worked well for that reason -- the briefcases that have a door that springs open, are, I'm sure, wonderful things, but you cannot put your hand on your weapon w.o announcing that you have a weapon, and think that you need it
    Putting dummy rounds into magazines is a great thing for people - gun goes click, and they look dumbstruck... instead of staying focused on the target and using the weak hand to rack the slide.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.