Author Topic: Grip screws  (Read 19456 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Grip screws
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »

That is probably a better idea but I think I'll try John's screws without an adhesive for a range session and see how tight they stay. Loctite is out for me.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 09:22:06 PM »
I forgot about the heat.  But then, I don't ust Locktite, I  just use fingernail polish and it works fine.

Reinz.  I don't change grips or screws, but I like your idea on the fingernail polish.  I'll definitely keep that in mind when the time comes.  My spare set of blues will go on the R973 at some point.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »

As previously noted I didn't change grips or screws either until a screw head failed at a range session. Richard has said that he loosens the screws once in awhile, takes the grips off, and prevents the alleged dissimilar corrosion issue. Not a bad idea to exercise the screws once every so often. I would recommend changing the factory screws for a higher quality product.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
I will do that once I notice a loose screw and agree, for sure, it's a good idea.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline 3kushn

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »
I wrote about this a couple of years ago. I'm not a gunsmith but I do know more than most about torque.  Keeping this simple and short.  

Old man Allen was a sharp dude.  He designed the hex key/socket system so that the key size will give you the proper torque when they flex.  Its impossible to over tension the screws assuming the screws are quality 12.9 spec, and the keys are made to the spec Allen set.  Try to apply more and the key will simply bend and eventually break.

That being said the joint is medium hard so that gives plenty of error tolerance.  

It would be nice to have a number though.  Gootntite doesn't work with my brain.

A few good brands of torque screwdrivers.
Sturtevant Richmont (the first cam over screwdriver)
Basic copies
CDI
ASG
Wera

But without a spec?  Why have one.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »

Beats me.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master