Author Topic: Proud of my daughter!  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Recluse

• Expert
Proud of my daughter!
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:32:36 PM »
My daughter has expressed some interest in learning to shoot properly, so I took her to the range.

Got set up, put two rounds in an old Colt .22 that was my dad's, and squeezed one off.  Set down the .22, and stepped away.  My daughter picked it up, aimed, and after a couple seconds, fired.  She set the gun back down, always keeping the muzzle downrange, and we retracted the target.

Two holes, in the orange bullseye!

Not a hint of limp-wristing, not a hint of flinching, just a steady grip.  Total control.

She proceeded to send 200 rounds through the paper targets, and wants to do it again.

I did not have her shoot the R9 yet, but she did fire the Seecamp .32 a couple times, then went back to the .22, just as I expected.

Most of my time was spent reloading magazines for her.  I only got off a couple mags from the R9, a couple mags from the Seecamp, and a half-dozen or so shots from the .22.

Loads of fun, and a thrill to see her wanting to tell mom all about it.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Re: Proud of my daughter!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:02:45 AM »
Let her progress slowly. The 22 is the way to go.  The bottom line is shooting is FUN!!.  It is such a thrill to see them enjoy the sport.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:16:51 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
I have a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace laser.  We used it for dry-fire practice before going to the range.  I wanted her to get the feel of properly squeezing the trigger without flinching.  The LCP has a long trigger pull, so I was pretty impressed with the little lady's ability to keep the red laser on the bullseye before and after the 'click'.

I also wanted to see her get in the habit of keeping the muzzle downrange at all times.  She did good, so I took her to the range, where she apparently remembered everything she was told.

The .22 is perfect.  Good sights, almost no recoil.  Not to mention, cheap ammo!  If she wants to try anything else, I will let her- But I will let her use the .22 all she wants.

She was proud to show mom the target full of holes with most of the orange area gone.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »
     Recluse, how old is your daughter?, My daughter started shooting when she was ten, and like yours started with a .22. An old Ruger auto that I'd had since I was thin and had hair. Eventually she worked up to a Smith 9mm. It's a big gun, and heavy enough to absorb the recoil, she also likes an Automag II in .22 mag. I think it was a toss-up as to who had the most fun, she or I.     Gene         P.S. Thirty three years later she's still shooting.
birdman

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
It is so much seeing a daughter start shooting!! Keep going slowly with the .22 and let her enjoy it and not pick up any bad habits.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
Priceless! Congratulations to you both.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
Firearms safety and responsibility go hand in hand, well done in teaching your daughter both. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »

Go, Courtney; I have observed that women are excellent shooters when they are into it--perhaps better than males even though it is very difficult to generalize on this subject.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
Excellent, Recluse.  You are a proud Dad.  Congrats!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln