Author Topic: Safe Gun Technology -- Rohrbaugh and the State of New Jersey  (Read 2696 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Some of you may not remember that the original concept of the R9 was to be a "smart gun."  In fact, the original name was MS-9 for "Magnetic Safety 9." 

In response to the development in this area, New Jersey took the position that as soon as "smart guns" were available, they were going to ban all other kinds.   Our friends at Rohrbaugh wanted nothing to do with being the catalylst for that -- and decided to drop what they called "safe gun technology" altogether.  Instead, the company pivoted to the design we now know as the R9.

Many years later, a company that may not be so protective of our Second Amendment rights has gone down that path anyway.  Wonder how this will turn out?  It is an interesting legal issue that could have huge ramifications.

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/court-cases/breaking-brady-campaign-files-lawsuit-to-all-guns-other-than-smart-guns-in-new-jersey/#

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Safe Gun Technology -- Rohrbaugh and the State of New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »
My IPAD cannot connect to that server.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
I already own a smart gun, he waits for me to make the decision to fire or not.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
In some contexts, I think "smart gun" technology makes sense, but not across the board.  It seems like you are introducing multiple potential points of failure.  However, in an environment where the choice might be smart gun or no gun (like prison guards?) -- it may be worth considering.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:53:18 AM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline WyoShooter

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »
This technology could also be desirable for the homeowner who wants to have a handgun always available and ready for use but is concerned about a momentary lapse when a child or other house member, who may not be trusted to safely handle a gun without supervision, might get their hands on the gun. 

Ed