Author Topic: Suggestions Please  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
Suggestions Please
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:11:30 AM »
As most of you know Designer Grips makes Carbon Fiber Grips for a variety of guns and we feel much more comfortable when we have a gun to try them on to make sure the fit is exact.  Even though Guns are now a write off for me, my medical bills (and my wife) prohibit me from going on a gun buying spree.  SO.... here is my question. 

How can I get guns to fit my grips to?

I don't need working firearms or even whole ones.  I just need the frame or the portion of the frame that the grips go on.  Right now I'm particularly looking for a 1911.

Any suggestions would be most helpful 

Thanks

Brian
Brian@DesignerGrips.com

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »

I went through this a bit when I had a holster company, but the increasing availability of dummy guns was a real help there.  Some of the manufacturers, if you asked them nicely, would provide de-activated dummy guns for holster makers using frames that were slightly out of spec or otherwise rejected.  Of course, this is an imposition on them and they have to make sure they are in compliance with all federal laws, etc. -- so it is definitely doing you a favor.  Depending on how small your operation is, and depending on the size of the company you are dealing with, they may not have a lot of incentive to help.  With a couple companies we were able to trade a couple of holsters for the favor of providing the dummy gun.  I am sure those holsters probably went into a personal collection of whoever was doing us the favor...

In your case, as you say, they could probably chop up a frame and just sent you the grip portion to avoid any problems with federal law.  I just wonder how many will do this anymore?

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
Some handgun "out of spec" frames may not be what works, notably the R9 and the LWS frames must be standard enough to allow a very proper fit of the grip ( note the problem with the occasional VZ R9 grips issues).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:38:04 PM »

I meant out of spec with regard to something other than grip related dimensions.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com