Author Topic: Just wondering...  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Just wondering...
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 07:45:48 AM »
Good points, Aglifter.  We need to get more comfortable experience with the R9.

That's why I'm hopeful they will have a .380 barrel and magazine for the R9 owners.

I know someone could say: Why didn't we get a .380 Auto in the first place?

Well, because the R9 is a gem of a gun.  It has high power in a small package!  I couldn't resist the idea.

Bill

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 03:26:22 PM »
Michigunner,
I'd thought I'd like to see a .380 conversion kit for the R9 also.  Lots of talk about a .380 ACP in the "Two New Models" thread.

Last night I dug out my handy-dandy NRA Fact Book and looked up the specs for the .380 vs. 9mm Parabellum.  Even though the .380 ACP was originally called the 9mm Kurtz or 9 mm Short, there are quite a few differences in the cartridge dimensions.

Barrel / chamber dims could be easily accomodated; magazine would require new one with extended feed lips, new follower and spring.  Biggest problem I can see is the breech face.  .380 ACP rim diameter is only 0.374", while 9mm Parabellum rim is 0.394.  I slid a .380 ACP round under the extractor of my R9S.  There's barely enough rim for the extractor to grab.  That would mean at least an extractor change to one with a longer hook.  Considering the Rohrbaugh quality standards, we're probably talking about a new slide as well.
Maybe we could use the old, tired 250 round recoil springs from 9mm practice.  That'd save about $4.... :(

sslater  

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 03:36:58 PM »
sslater,

Good point about the extractor, and possible slide change.  I sure wasn't thinking about that.

Now it's starting to sound like some real money.

I may start looking around for specs on the so-called reduced recoil ammunition.

Bill

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 03:39:21 AM »
I don't think I'd chip in for one. If I had that amount of money to spend on a .22 LR practice Rohrbaugh, I'd just buy 2 of the R9s and carry one and shoot one for practice.
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern