Author Topic: Range report for the R9  (Read 17972 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Range report for the R9
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:40 PM »
Nice shooting Count.  You have adapted to the R9 well! :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
I knew I needed a hex wrench for the grip screws, for doing a detailed cleaning, (so far I've just field stripped it for cleaning it)  I forgot about the screws possibly loosening up when firing.

So I went to the hardware store this moring and got 1/16" hex wrench, and when I went to unloosen the srews I found they were already loose.

They must not have loosened up too badly because I didn't have any failures with the pistol my first two times out to the range.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
Better buy another hex wrench to keep in your range bag.

Very cheap insurance.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
Count:

You might also get some of Yankee's O-rings to help keep the grips screws snug. They work for me.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »
I clean the screw holes with a pipe cleaner to remove oil on the advice of a forum member, and also use O-rings...the screws still loosen a little after extensive firing...IMO you should check them and tighten gently after each range trip/cleaning just in case...after all, this is a carry piece that will not function if the right side screws are loose so take no chances.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »
I clean the screw holes with a pipe cleaner to remove oil on the advice of a forum member, and also use O-rings...the screws still loosen a little after extensive firing...IMO you should check them and tighten gently after each range trip/cleaning just in case...after all, this is a carry piece that will not function if the right side screws are loose so take no chances.

Yup, what he said!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
I am at 150 rounds through the R9 tonight.

I had originally planned to put just a bunch of 124gr Gold Dots through the Rohrbaugh but I fired a different mix of stuff.

Mostly I fired 124gr Lawman.  I fired at 15 feet and was really happy with my 7-dhot groups.  I only fired 28 rounds of the Lawman  I fired 7 rounds of 147gr Gold Dots, 7 rounds of 147gr Winchester Ranger T, and 3 rounds of 147 gr PDX.

When you add in the 5 rounds of 124gr Lawman I tacked onto my last range trip - it's 150 rounds through the R9 without a problem.

I know you're suppossed to get through 200 to 250 rounds with a pistol before you trust it for carry, but actually I do trust it for carry.

One thing I noticed though is that using 124gr Lawman TMJ, I had very tight 7-shot groups, but as soon as I switched to 147gr ammo I had 3" shot groups.  At 15 feet that's not good IMO.  It was the same with Gold Dot, PDX and Ranger T.

I made sure my grip screws were tight before I moved to the 147gr cartridges.

I have 147gr Lawman TMJ, I'm going to use some of those next range trip, I'm also going to shoot my Winchester Ranger T at the beginning of my shooting session - not the end of it.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 09:37:58 PM »
The other thing I did was browse pistol while waiting to get on the range.  A year ago when I looked at the Sig-Sauer P290 - it seemed like a really small pistol.

Now that I have the R9 - the Sig P290 seems like a pretty big pistol, just looking at it in the case - it seemed pretty big.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
Man you think your pistol was a little picky in the ammo choice/accuracy department; in my experience rifles take it to a whole new level.

And yeah, when you compare the smallest and lightest pockect nine on the planet, evertyhing looks big. :)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »
I hope I can put together better groups with the Ranger T in the future.

I'm happy though that the R9 cycles it just fine (so far)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
I found out my R9 does not like Golden Sabres
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:02 PM »
I put another 50 rounds through the R9 tonight.  I fired a mix of Winchester 147gr PDX1, 147gr Ranger T - RA9T, 147gr Gold Dots, 124gr Blazzer Brass, 147gr Bonded Golden Sabre, and 124gr Lawman TMJ.

I had 2 failure to ignite out of 7 Golden Sabres.  I noticed on the cases that did fire - I had very shallow indentations on the primers.

The top left two are Winchester Ranger T and Speer Gold Dot, the bottom left is a Golden Sabre that fired and you can see the primer is barely nicked.

The top right two are Remington Golden Sabres that failed to fire.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:47:49 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 11:39:22 PM »
I shot better with the Winchester RA9Ts than I did previously.  I did notice that my first shot is a bullseye and the rest of the shots are low, I'm not sure what's causing that.  The next time I go to the range I am going to load and fire one round at a time to see what happens.

I bought a few boxes of 124gr Blazzer Brass for practice and learned that was a waste of money - at least for practicing with my R9.  I fired 3 shots and stopped when I noticed the rip in the target, the shots were all over the place anyway...  I'll save it for my other guns.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:33:35 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
I haven't been to the range nearly as much as I should, but I've been spending my time and money on my kid's shooting.  But I finally carved out a little time today to shoot the R9 again.

I shot 7 rounds of 124gr Lawman TMJ at 21 feet and made one ragged hole a little bit low and a little bit left of the bullseye.    I fired 6 rounds of Winchester RA9T and had a 3" shot group...   >:(

I am happy though that I haven't had any problems with either ammo, they both work flawlessly in my R9.

Offline feedramp

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 05:56:49 AM »
Some nice range shooting COunt. 

Most must remember, that the R9 is a defensive pistol designed for "close encounters" and also a firearm that can be taken with you at all times.

I'll give you at lot of credit COunt, if you can go through 50 rounds with this little cannon at one session ...   8)

How are the hands ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:00:11 AM by feedramp »
"It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 11:36:47 AM »

He shot 50 rounds a year ago and 13 this time around; maybe that addresses the question about the hands.