Author Topic: New Grips  (Read 5063 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
New Grips
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:43:46 AM »
My 2 wish list items both deal with R9 grips:

1. I get the fact that CF is expensive but G10 is coarse and ugly. Has factory considered micarta? This stuff is used on custom knives (usually on EDC) and polishes up with a texture not unlike amber. Also, you can get all kinds of colors.

2. Grips are too narrow and, in my view, contributes to my experience with FTF and stovepipes. I wouldn't want to compromise the integrity of the R9 but I would really like some aftermarket guy to come up with a backstrap extension that would change the profile of the grip so it is wider at the base; not unlike the profile of a glock grip. I know there is a pistol out there that furnishes multiple backstrap grips to suit the preference of the shooter.

Feedback, good or bad would be appreciated

The good news is known to us all and I affirm that the R9 is the finest pocket pistol, period.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

ccoorreeyy

Re: New Grips
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »
IDM and K&D make grips that are a little thicker than stock and in other colors.  IDM also makes one that is thinner than stock.  I don't know of anypart that would make the backstrap thicker unless you used one of the rubber slip on type grips.

I though both micarta and G10 are both the same type High Pressure Laminate.  I could very well be wrong though.  Someone that knows the difference please tell us.

I, like you, think that the R9 is the finest pocket pistol made but I am VERY thankful its unlike the profile of a glock.  Its profile is what makes this gun what it is.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »
Let me qualify my statement. Thickness of grips on R9 are perfect. What I am saying is that I wish the BACKSTRAP was not straight up and down. Instead, I wish there was an aftermarket "grip extender" that, for me, would add aesthetic and practical appeal to the R9.

This hypothetical part would preserve the existing grip profile, (where the web of your hand meets the gun) but would taper out as it descends to the base of the grip; thus creating a "recurve" grip profile that would enhance the gun for the reasons mentioned.

The PROFILE of the grip would (then) resemble a glock if this part were available. My glock 36 makes nice .45 holes but it is a plastic gun. My love for the R9 is not unlike others expressed in this forum.

The R9 has a hammer, it is made out of metal and the tolerances are tighter than something I cannot mention on this forum. Love the R9 but wish the grip PROFILE were wider at the base as described.

My degree is in English. Maybe an engineer can better describe what I am trying to say but I have done my best.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Preston5280

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »
My degree is in English. Maybe an engineer can better describe what I am trying to say but I have done my best.

I think you're looking for a thicker backstrap. Handguns with interchangeable ones aren't uncommon. The XDm and Sig P250 come to mind right away.

[[Correction: P250 backstrap isn't interchangeable, the grip is available in different sizes. My bad.]]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:18:46 PM by Preston5280 »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »
Preston: I did not know the models that feature interchangeable backstraps but that is the right idea. I am convinced that a backstrap that is wider at the base of the grip on the R9 would look good and would facilitate avoidance of FTF and stovepipes.

When I fired the R9s I have owned I have had to anticipate the recoil so as to absorb the kick and reduce possibility of stovepipe. I am a Certified Pistol Instructor. Anticipating the recoil is contrary to my training.

I have read many posts in this forum from those who have never experienced this problem. I have a Stealth ordered and I hope to fire this one in such a way that I will not experience as many stovepipes. Meanwhile, I still want Micarta grips and the tapered backstrap as described above.

I made a previous attempt to remedy by purchasing the IDM mag extenders. The parts received were well made but it did not help my situation and I went back to standard magazine

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »
This is a good discussion but difficult to remedy in the short run.
Each of us has different hand metrics and we have to address
this problem of "hand-fit" individually.

Personally, I use the 3M tape on each side, front and back, and
on the IDM hook grip extender. This thread has given me the idea
to build up the tape to simulate a slightly wider back strap for an
even better purchase. I am quite happy with the present set-up
but there is always room for improvement. BTW, I have short,
stubby fingers so not much change is required.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:11:44 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
ACP.  I have not had any problems with recoil on my R9s and actually no problems at all.  It may be that I am used to shooting my 454 Alaskan with one hand.  I've always been told not to antisipate recoil as it sounds like you've been taught.  I know that's probably easier to say than do.  I just don't think about it!   :)   :)

Good luck!!

Ken
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
Many thanks for the feedback. I ordered the Stealth without sights so as to train myself for the most realistic usage of the R9 which is point shooting; something that, again, is contrary to my training. I have plenty of larger guns for target shooting.

BTW: The finest gun I own has micarta grips and the exact configuration of backstrap that I seek for the R9