Author Topic: Lubrication in general  (Read 4638 times)

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
Lubrication in general
« on: October 30, 2004, 01:05:57 AM »
Perhaps someone here can enlighten me on this subject. I have quite a collection of lubricants for my firearms collection and knife collection. I read here on another thread someone using Greased Lightning.....I have some too. Some time ago, on another forum, this topic came up about teflon in suspension in lubricants. The argument was, that if it has to be shaken up before application, don't use it. I was a breakfree freak before reading that. The thinking was that if it separates in the bottle, it will separate on the firearm. Made sense to me. From then on, I only used products that did not have to be shaken or stirred before application.
BTW -  I just got some Super Lube today. Hope to try it out soon. It's interesting to note that the packaging mentions mostly automotive applications.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Lubrication in general
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 11:00:14 PM »
Doc'

I am an engineer but - no tribologist!" :) I do tho consider two things with R9 lube (most firearms in fact) to be of utmost importance ....

First .... ''persistance'' .. this almost always means a viscocity factor - thick enough to adhere and persist.  SuperLube does that ... but there are others that IMO can be comparable.  ''RIG'' I think is there, tho without teflon I believe.

Second then is teflon .. IMO an excellent additive ... it is on its own a remarkable friction reducing agent. Almost mini ball bearings, in theory.

Mix the two and I doubt it can be bettered.  I would tho still suggest to all - trying to if possible, follow the Rohrbaugh recommendations
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Soda_Pop

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 12:43:46 AM »
Is CLP ruled out?

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 12:55:51 AM »
I've used CLP forever, but on another forum, it was brought up that if you had to shake a lubricant before using it, it may not be the best choice. The reason, presented, that if the teflon separated in the bottle, it would do so after application to the gun. The argument makes sense to me and since I have many other highly regarded lubricant choices, I now use my CLP for hand tools and such. In my small collection of lubricants, I wouldn't run out for about 100 years and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Offline Soda_Pop

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 10:24:05 AM »
I clean my carry guns every 2 weeks so I doubt it would make much of a difference.