Author Topic: A small suggestion  (Read 4537 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
A small suggestion
« on: December 16, 2005, 06:17:11 PM »
I don't know how many altogether have seen my vids on takedown/reassembly - basic tho they are.  But, in the reassembly vid I put the recoil assembly back into place with no use of channel locks, barrel in place - just done by hand with some jiggling and minor cussing ;D

I have done a very subtle mod' to two components - which IMO can make that proceedure just a tad easier.  Let me stress right now - it is NOT Rohrbaugh approved - tho having said that I cannot believe for one moment it would be frowned upon!  It is ONLY - food for thought and seemed worth mentioning.

Look at the pics below - you will see the inside of the end cap - and the end of the guide rod.  Now, imagine if you try to insert the assembly in as I did - by hand - it is necessarily starting at an angle relative to the barrel and so also, to that hole you are targeting in the slide.  That angle of approach then makes the side of guide rod nearest barrel press against the inside complementary surface of the end cap.

Of course, the guide rod end has a machined chamfer but IMO each side of that chamfer is still quite ''sharp'' - a crisp edge - no criticism I might add.  The inside of the end cap does not have any discernible chamfer - it seems a relatively sharp edge - no real major reason that it should have any extra machining - in theory!

My contention is - those ''sharp'' edges when abutted at this angle of approach - tend to snag - making it harder to get guide rod thru end cap.  That is where it ''hangs up'' most times.

My suggestion (which again I stress is mine only - not a Rohrbaugh one!), step one - is to wrap a small piece of 600 grit emery paper round a small piece of flat hardwood ..... and then apply both edges of the guide rod chamfer (one at a time) to the abrasive, rotating guide rod by twirling in fingers to make process even.  Now this will barely remove any metal to speak off - what it will do is make those chamfer edges the merest bit less sharp.  Almost a polish plus a bit!  Concentrate on the major diameter of the chamfer.

Now stage two - the end cap.  Be inovative here - I found a small screwdriver which had a handle tapering where blade enters.  I was able to wrap some 600 grit round that - insert whole deal into rear of end cap - and then lightly rotate cap on that formed abrasive sheet.  Do this a good few times.  You will not see a huge difference - it would take high magnification to see a change but IMO it takes off just a whisker of sharp edge.  A tapered piece of dowel would do OK as a former - bound to be something you can find.

Now this does not suddenly make the recoil assembly a breeze to reinstall - it's still a fiddle but I do think this helps just ease the process and no metal is removed that can be IMO in the least prejudicial - it is probably hard to even measure!

As usual I am being very verbose but - just trying to give you a mental picture of what I did.  The arrows in the pics are there purely to make quite sure you can identify the edges I am describing smoothing, circumferentially.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:20:40 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: A small suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 10:40:10 PM »
That sounds like a fine idea, Chris.  Your photos are outstanding, as always.

All of us probably noticed how those sharp edges seem to be in conflict.  They begin to reduce our fun almost immediately.

Also, perhaps you or one of us will think of some little simple-minded  tool that could be used.

We have already spoke here about plastic pliers.  Maybe the working faces of the pliers could be cut some, one face to slip over the pin as it emerged from the end cap, and the other face over the spring, and start the compression process, but still permit the tool to be removed after insertion of the pin into the frame.

Fred (mismatch) mentioned to me a long time ago that such might be possible.

Still, the factory seems satisfied with Channel Lock pliers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:10:20 AM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 10:54:32 PM »
I have had thoughts for a tool Bill - but not sure if it would be worth developing - probably too complex/costly.  It would IMO be after the fashion of a valve spring compressor.

Thing is, this is an infrequent operation really so - hard to justify special tools - when a bit of extra cussing will sometimes do - haha! ;D

Easiest way to do this suggestion of mine would be to chuck items in a lathe but - tho I have one, I doubt most do.  Thus my simplistic approach.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 09:00:27 AM »
R9SCarry,
I wanted to compliment you on the outstanding job you did on the videos.  Bravo Zulu!

I put tape on the jaws of my 6" channel lock pliers to protect the firearm during reassembly.  With that you do not have to worry about tool marks.

Offline rtohio

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:16:01 PM »
As a new member, some of the posts that are over a month old since the last posting are very interesting to me. This is one. I am going to try it and would really appreciate cutting down on a tool needed for takedown/reassembly. This seems very well thought out and I wondered if others have tried it and with what results.

RTOhio

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 10:45:06 PM »
rt - just to reiterate - this is not a ''cure-all'' because manual insertion is still tricky - I don't get it right every time.  But it can be done and this smoothing does just assist a bit.

If practiced with the pup - then I reckon two things would ''do'' for tools - a pencil for holding slide open - and a soft penny nail squared off at the end.

Most times tho I reckon the strip and reassemble will be done on the shooting bench at home.

I have made it a habit to always go to the range with a small wooden box I made longer ago than I care to recall.  It contains numerous oddments like hex wrenches, punches (most home made) small screwdrivers etc.  Oh and I also always take my Brownells screwdriver set too - usually that bails out someone else rather than me :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline rtohio

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 08:38:29 PM »
I know it will not be a walk in the park, and I can take a little hassle, but I could not do it at all before and tried many times. It is worth a try, especially if I find I am at CCW class and forgot or did not bring tools. I use a stubby large blade screwdriver and a pin punch to disassemble. Works fine. I use a pair of vise-grips to reassemble and it works without hassle. Probably always will be able to find a stick, something to punch out the pin may be harder and then reassemble with no tools gets closer to practical.
My range is my house (live in the middle of 20 acres) so most of the time I am at home when I shoot.
Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know how it works.

RTOhio