Author Topic: Transluscent Grips w/Mag Window  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Larry

Transluscent Grips w/Mag Window
« on: July 14, 2005, 12:35:31 AM »
I got this thought remembering the wonderful ASP which had this setup. Whereas I love the current R9 grips, I envision high quality polycarbonate grips along with a magazine with a 'window'  in order to view the cartridges, this might be a practical idea.  Because of the fact that there is no slide lockback after last round, it is a quick and direct way of determining round status.  An oblong clear section inlaid into the current grip would do it  also.
(Maybe a little flag that comes out and says:"BANG" after last round) ::)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Transluscent Grips w/Mag Window
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 12:44:26 AM »
Larry - main thing here is - strength!!  The prime reason for using CF is, that on the RH grip panel - a lot (relatively) of material needs machined off to give a clearance for the trigger connector bar to run.

It would certainly be well cool to have a clear medium but IIRC the Bros R considered many materials before settling on the (expensive) option of CF - because that gave the greatest strength to weight ratio of about anything else.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Larry

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:59:23 AM »
Thanks R9sCarry for the info on the grips.  I am aware that the R Bros tested many materials for the grips.  I am happy with the grips the way they come.  I have been considering a quality knife with CF scales just to match the fashion.  I read in the Forum that one of the members were having silver grips done by a jeweler.  They might be strong, but would add a lot of weight.  We always want to change something to make it more personalized.  My brother would probably buy a gold plated engraved R9 with pearl grips if he could. So would Shaq O'Neil. Saw him at the gun show looking at such items.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:57:59 AM »
You saw Shaq at a gunshow.... or your brother?  :-/
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline alfonso2501

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 02:24:15 AM »
Larry, I agree! Ever since I first saw that grip window on the ASP I wondered how cool it would be if the Rohrbaugh had one. I’m pretty sure that it would drive the price thru the roof, enough that it would hurt sales, as well as compromise strength! Still, it would be nice. .

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 03:37:59 AM »
Clint: Do yo feel lucky punk?..well, do ya?

Dude:  Actually I do, I can see through that little window you're out of ammo.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 08:56:50 AM »
Seems like these transparent grip windows would work better with the "Wilson Combat" style open grooves that run the length of the magazine so you can see how many rounds are left (sort of) at a glance.

I think the prolbem with transparent grips is that its still not that easy to tell how much ammo you have left.  I don't think you will get a good visual of the last round or so before it goes into the mag.... which are the most critical rounds to count.

It does, however, look pretty darn cool.

I think the R-9 should have a small, battery powered LED display visible under the rear sight that counts down the rounds remaining.   ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 09:16:18 AM »
Clint: Do yo feel lucky punk?..well, do ya?

Dude:  Actually I do, I can see through that little window you're out of ammo.

BANG!

Clint:  Ya forgot the one in the chamber.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"