Author Topic: Complete breakdown required for cleaning?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
Complete breakdown required for cleaning?
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:17:18 AM »
I just ordered my R9s; exclusively on the basis of reviews and input from this forum.  I've never before committed so much for a gun that I hadn't even held in my hands!!!

Here's a question: Is it necessary to break down the action for normal cleaning?  From the manual I downloaded, it would seem so but this seems a real hardship.

Regardless, I don't see a drift pin in the list of items included with each gun.  That would be essential for takedown... right?

I notice an "RJ 2in1 tool is available to facilitate this takedown.  Brass or aluminum..?  Brass is softer so less likely to scratch.  PVC would be even better for the wedge part but maybe not for the spring-depressor part.  I may need this too if takedown is needed after each shooting.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline RickP

• Expert
Re: Complete breakdown required for cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
I use a 1/16 punch to push the pin out, then fingers to compress and remove the recoil assembly, and the barrel then lifts out. I just got a takedown tool, but haven't had the chance to use it yet as I haven't been shooting lately. Hardest part of reassembly is getting the recoil assembly back in. I use thumbs and index fingers to compress and reinsert the assembly. The takedown tool should make this process a lot easier. Once you do it a couple of times, you will see it's not a hardship at all.

How long before your gun arrives? Your going to love it!

Rick

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:07:20 AM »
Thanks.  Your reply infers, but does not confirm, that a takedown is required for cleaning after each use.  True?  Or can you just run a jag through the barrel for a basic clean... leaving the major clean for, say, once every 6 months?

I put oil on the sliding parts of my 911 and swab the barrel after every use but I have never taken it down...

I should have the gun late next week, depending on how long my check is held to clear and when I can get to my ffl...

Thanks again
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:29:41 PM »
Don't know if its a requirment per se, but 60 or 100 rounds of WWB leaves quite a bit of black stuff in there, and I feel better having everything nice and clean. Besides, I kind of enjoy the process. Not a chore for me at all.

Rick

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
Is the pin really tight; do you have to tap it out with a small hammer?  Or can you just push it out with the 1/16" punch?

That 2in1 tool should be a 3in1 tool with a 1/16" punch on the other end...

Thanks

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »
Is the pin really tight; do you have to tap it out with a small hammer?  Or can you just push it out with the 1/16" punch?

That 2in1 tool should be a 3in1 tool with a 1/16" punch on the other end...

Thanks

Would the tool be in place holding the slide in the exact position when you would need the punch?  That would be pretty tough.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »
Hey, i never suggested that every thought that comes into my head is worthy of etching in granite.  You are quite right!!!

Now, is the pin so tight that a hammer tap is required?  I'm trying to figure out how much reorganizing my reloading bench is going to need...

Thanks again

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »
First time I did it I used a little hammer. Now I just push it out.

LOL Jack!

Rick

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 06:38:44 AM »
I push my pin out with a toothpick.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
Were you always able to use a toothpick or has the pin gotten looser with use?

Offline firewalker

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
   The take down pin is not press fit. one side of the slide is a small hole, a 1/16 allen wrench or punch can be used to push the pin out of the larger hole. The pin is slightly smaller than large hole.
   After making a guide and getting perfectly lined up the first time, it soon became apparent that with practice you can hold it in your off hand and using thumb and fingers slide it to the proper lignup position and with the strong hand ease the pin out with out much problem.
   The beauty of this system is its not necessary for the pin to be press fit, It relies on spring pressure from the slide to keep it from moving around in the lock area of the barrel. Simply it is trapped with in the frame and barrel area, and functions as designed with out unnecessary interference with other parts.
   After a few times most anything can be used to ease the pin out as your other hand gently slides it to locate KISS system. I don't mind paying a premium for such a well thought out design.

Frederick

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 08:24:29 AM »
I used a toothpick the very first time, and every time since.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
Don't know if its a requirment per se, but 60 or 100 rounds of WWB leaves quite a bit of black stuff in there, and I feel better having everything nice and clean. Besides, I kind of enjoy the process. Not a chore for me at all.

Rick

Ditto!   8)

I'm admittedly obsessive-compulsive about cleaning my firearms -- particularly my R9. I make it a point to clean a gun any time it has been fired. Old habits die hard. And like Rick, I just enjoy the process.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"