Author Topic: Anybody Tried Nitesiters?  (Read 7406 times)

Offline cool

Anybody Tried Nitesiters?
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:17:27 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Have anybody tried the nitesiters?  I'm tempted to try it.  Cheap, $9.98.  The question is, will it stay in place (considering that the R9 will be carried almost everyday- drawing & holstering).  Will it harm the finish of the stainless steel sight?  Please share your comments & opinions.  Thanks!

Cool

Offline Wheedum

Re: Anybody Tried Nitesiters?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 06:44:23 PM »
Placing the cheapest sights in the world on one of the finest firearms ever made would probably leave you very disappointed.  If you have the wisdom to value the assets of the R9, the finances to purchase the R9, and the refinement to appreciate the aesthetics of the R9, I'm confident you are not the type of individual who would find any use or pleasure from this product.  Save your 10 spot.  Hey, it'll buy you 2 cups @ Starbucks!

Offline Kimdo

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »
I tried them and like them.  Of course I knew I would.  I've used them on several other guns for a couple years.
And if you don't like them, they are removable.
Kim

Offline cool

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 08:58:24 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I wish Rohrbaugh would add a factory installed night sight (just like the Kahr PM/MK).  From R9 to R9s to R9ns (night sights)!  But again, I'm happy with my pup!

Cool

Offline Savior_6

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:02:02 AM »
Find pics of  ccoorreeyy's Pups. He had an awesome site job done on one of his. I'm not going to lie though I have thought of using the nitesiters myself. Mainly so I can do a post/dot configuration.
K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
P9s
K9
P228

Offline Kimdo

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:48:02 AM »
Nitesiters update.  
After packing the Rohrbaugh for a couple months I thought I'd report on the Nitesiters.  They are not perfect.  I had to replace one that I rubbed off with my thumb.  If I loose another one, I'll try a drop of superglue.  
Since I've got a Stealth you can imagine how well my 61 year old eyes focus on black on black against a dark background.
These help a LOT.
This is the view from my easy chair with the reading light on.

And a little dimmer light.

The optimum would be indentations to set them in.  Or better yet, the real thing.

Until then, at least I can see the sites.

Kim

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:36:40 AM »
Thanks Kim, if it works for you, that's all that matters.  I think I will try them, like you said if you don't like them take them off.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 11:04:21 AM »
My old eyes need SOMETHING to help see the sights on my R9S.  That said, I clean & lube my R9S once a week.  I can't imagine that the Nightsiters would last very long with such cleaning.  Folks mention "a drop of super glue" to hold them in place.  Would such glue damage the finish of the pistol?

Offline jeffgraham

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 01:02:57 AM »
 I have no idea what Nitesiters are but I have for the past couple of years used a small piece of red automotive reflector tape a roll of which I purchased at Pep Boys.  Just cut a small piece to cover the front site.  Believe it or not I've only had to replace it once when I let Gun Scrubber spray get on it while cleaning.  I am very happy with this.  The front sight is highly visible for precision or fast shooting.  I carry this gun in a Graham pocket holster every day.  My gun is the gray with blue carbon fiber grips.  Spend 3-4 bucks and give it a try.  I believe you will be very plesently surprized.  I do concede it may not help much in the dark.

Offline Kimdo

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:25:07 AM »
Jeff,
In reality the Nitesiters are probably not much more effective than your red tape.  When exposed to bright light they do glow in the dark for several hours and they pick up any light really fast.
I actually hadn't thought about trying retroreflective tape.
If you want to try some silver reflective tape drop me a PM with your address and I'll drop a couple square inches in the mail.  I have 3M Solas retrofeflective tape in bulk and the glue is tenatious.  
The silver should show up better than red.
Kim

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:16:46 PM »
I do the old nail polish trick on mine -- white base coat, w. a bright orange metallic top "wash".  I replace it about 1/year, and it's worked great for the last few years.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Bowhunter2001

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 09:52:08 PM »
I put them on my R9 last week and followed the instructions and let them dry for 3 days.  I also cleaned the area's several times. I used the light bulb and then the hair dryer.
Today I took the gun from the safe and put it in my pocket and took it to my truck so I could shoot it tomorrow. When I pulled it out of my pocket one of the dots was off. I then removed the other one on the rear and just left the front one on. It was a cheap idea and guess what, I got what I payed for. I will try the paint next.
Do it with Bow and arrow!

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »
The nail polish works great, borrowed some bright green from my wifes nail salon person.

The Bright Sights didn't work out.  The holster started peeling it off pretty quickly.  It probably would have worked fine if I had a dimple milled into the sight, but I'll stick with the nail polish as long as it works.

Offline Bowhunter2001

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »
Those that used nail polish, did you just put it on the front site?
Do it with Bow and arrow!

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
I only did the front.