Author Topic: Rust?    (Read 1841 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Rust?  
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:16:23 PM »
On the bottom of one of my magazines, it seems like there's rust where "Rohrbaugh" is engraved on it -- the other one is OK.  I've tried scrubbing it w. some Hoppe's 9 -- any other suggestions?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Rust?  
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:14:24 PM »
Yes, try Corrosion X. Oshmans carries it. I've had it
remove rust that I did not think possible.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 10:42:42 PM »
Don't let the Hoppe's get near any nickel-plated gear you have, but that and some fine steel wool should suffice.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
To Rust Trap...Was:..Re: Rust?  
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 04:45:28 PM »
Yes, try Corrosion X. Oshmans carries it. I've had it remove rust that I did not think possible.

That reminds me. I was at a knife show in Chicago last year, and an engraver friend, Ray Cover, Jr., told me of this trick: soak or dab BreakFree CLP on the rust and let it sit for a few days. Then get out
a magnifying glass and you'll see that the rust can just flake off. You can pick it off with tweezers or blow it off with canned air. Rinse and repeat.

It worked for me on a "stainless" knife with a, um, stain on it...

Hayword N. Edgewise
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 05:09:01 PM »
I just checked my mags.  Two are clean.  The third has some color in the "Rohrbaugh" stamping.  Had to look at it with a maginfying glass, and it's definitely rust.  

I'll bet it's from the tool steel stamp the vendor uses to impress the Rohrbaugh logo.  Otherwise, there should be random spots of rust  all over the floorplate.

Breakfree or Gibbs or WD40 should clean it up.  I kinda like the contrast....... :)

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 02:20:05 PM »
Duplicoat also makes a rust convert that turns rust into primer. That may be another option.