Author Topic: slide bite  (Read 8413 times)

Offline 08055

slide bite
« on: July 24, 2010, 11:43:49 AM »
I have been reading and enjoying this forum for about 2 years  now.  This is my first post.  
I have been changing my carry weapon over the years from Ruger SP 101  to Wilson Combat CQB Compact to my current CCW- Para PDA 9 mm. The Para PDA is a fine CCW, however, it weighs 23 oz.     I think it is time for me to consider  pocket carry and I have been looking for a pocket pistol.  
I have not fired a Rohrbaugh yet, however, I have looked, held and dry fired a Rohrbaugh at the dealer and it feels good to me.  The only thing that worries me is the possibility of slide bite.  Of course there is no beaver tail on the Rohrbaugh but the shape of the back strap in relation to the slide worries me.  I am sure you understand what I am talking about.
Did anybody in this forum experience a slide bite when shooting the Rohrbaugh?
Thanks in advance.

ccoorreeyy

Re: slide bite
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »
I've never had any problem with it or anyone I've let shoot mine. It just plain works!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »
08055.  Welcome to the Forum:

I really think you would like an R9.  I bought mine sight unseen, never even held or seen one.  Haven't regretted it one bit.  

Usually after one, some folks want another, then another; and even another; don't know why that is; just happens.

Good luck with your decision.  I think you would be a proud owner.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:19:23 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »
08055, welcome to the forum, continue to enjoy it. In all the posts from new owners, over the years, i've never read about any slide bite. if you need help PM me.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
 08055, regarding slide bite, I have four Rohrbaughs, two 9mm and two .380s. I have never experienced any problems at all. I have medium size hands. If that tells you anything. Also I highly recommend Tom Watson. He will make everything go smooth.  Gene
birdman

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:33:51 PM »
No slide bite here...

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »
Welcome to the group. I have had no issues with slide bite, nor have I read any post on here that it has ever been an issue.
  Try it, you'll like it ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »

This pup doesn't bite.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »
08055:

And a welcome to the Forum from me as well.

As for slide bite, take it from one who still has a faint scar on the web of his right hand left from Walther PPK slide bites some 40 years ago, there is no such problem with the R9.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »
Having a "large hand", I can say I have never been close to a pup bite from a slide...I would venture to say that unless ones hands were very large and the web of the hand were puffy or "fat", the chances of this are slim...the curve at the top of the backstrap is just to far removed from "slide action".

Welcome to the board.....
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 03:20:04 AM »
The danger of slide bite is remote.  The danger of wanting a second, and third pup in your litter is a much greater possibility.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »
As with all "small" semi autos,the possibility of getting that web of your hand chewed on is there,but with the positioning of the pup in the hand,the chance is very remote!!

I,myself have not had a single instance of the pup biting in my limited shooting of them.. ;)

BTW,welcome to the forum!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »
   08055, realized after the post re "slide bite" that I had neglected to welcome you to the forum. Allow me to do so now. I think that you will enjoy it. You'll find some of the most helpful and informed people ever gathered together in one spot right here. And everyone willing to help. So, again welcome, post often and love your pup!     Gene
birdman

Offline hdfb910

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
I would say I have larger hands and have no problem with slide bite with the Rohrbaugh.  I think their design was sound from the begining and you will not have any problem where this is concerned.
The Walther PPK does slice the web of my hand.  Just listing this as a reference point for you, in case you have handled the Walther before.

Pete

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:48:42 AM »
Welcome to the fire 08055!

While my glove size varies from medium to medium large, I always grip my handguns a high as possible to get the best control of the gun.
I have yet to get a slide bite from my R9.

Good Luck

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE