Author Topic: VZ Grips  (Read 31073 times)

Offline JR956678

• Expert
Re: VZ Grips
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 08:55:09 PM »
(Who said I was a "grip junkie"?  Oh, yes, now I remember -- I did.   8) )

I'm trying to keep you company Richard - my VZ Grips shipped this afternoon and I don't even have my R9 - yet. I think I'll be picking it up the same day the grips arrive ...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
You remind me of myself. I already had a Hedley holster by the time I took delivery of my R9.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:55 AM »
The grips are up on the website and ready to ship. Due to SHOT show being just around the corner we have limited supplies. Don't worry though, we're not going anywhere... We'll make plenty for whomever wants them. Get them here:

http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/rohrbaugh-r9

Feel free to contact us at any time with questons.

info@vzgrips.com
1-850-422-1911

Will you have some sets at the SHOT Show?

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »

Will you have some sets at the SHOT Show?

Yes, John had grips for sale at the SHOT show. he had a nice booth and plenty of grips to view.
I did get a set for the R9.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
I truly like the looks of the grips-will hope they "hold up" during use..

I am very interested in the grip screws,hoping they work on the OEM grips-especially the CFs!!

Looking forward to doing business soon!!

I also need a new set of grips for the 1911 and Seecamp conversion!!! ;)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
I am very interested in the grip screws,hoping they work on the OEM grips-especially the CFs!!

The VZ Grips use an alloy steel button head screw; the OEM grips require a flathead screw, so those screws won't work.

But Rorhbaugh also offers black flathead screws that
do work on the stock grips and seem to be alloy steel instead of stainless - they are tougher than the stainless screws.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »

The VZ Grips use an alloy steel button head screw; the OEM grips require a flathead screw, so those screws won't work.

But Rorhbaugh also offers black flathead screws that
do work on the stock grips and seem to be alloy steel instead of stainless - they are tougher than the stainless screws.

I understand about the screws from Rohrbaugh-I have just a "couple" extra sets available..

I've got an enquiry in about the "adaptability" of the grip screws from VZ..

The grip screws have been a bit of weakness in the Pup for some people,stripping heads have been a complaint for a long time..

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »
The only way the grip screws could be adapted is by milling the current beveled holes in your grips to a flat bottom hole.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline RetiredBadge

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
I just received mine and put them on. I bought the what I believe they call black cherry. I hope to get pictures tomorrow and will try post them.

I know I like the feel. With John's grip extension and the grips be serrated t it has a great feel.

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 06:31:28 AM »
The grip screws have been a bit of weakness in the Pup for some people,stripping heads have been a complaint for a long time.

Indeed it has been. That's one reason why I ordered and tried the black screws from Rohrbaugh - to see if I thought they might be a better screw to use and less likely to strip the heads.

It's my opinion that they are better than the silver screws in this regard simply because of the material choice. Stainless has advantages as a screw material because it won't rust and in that sense is a good choice for a grip screw in an all stainless gun. But as a fastener material it's pretty bad - most notably in that it has a high rate of creep - tighten a stainless screw and it will elongate over time and get loose. Stainless screws may also be a little on the soft side as well which makes them easy to strip the hex socket.

While I was told that the only difference between the stainless and the black screws was the color, when I got them I tested them with a magnet and found that the silver screws are non-magnetic (as most stainless alloys are) but the black screws - like the ones for the VZ Grips - are magnetic which means they're not stainless but likely some steel alloy. They also seem to be quite a bit harder than the silver screws, and the fit of a hex key is much tighter than the fit on the silver screws.

I believe that the VZ Grip screws would address the grip screw problem on the R9 because they are also magnetic alloy steel. I also believe that the black screws from Rohrbaugh would address the problem as well for the same reason - a tougher material.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:31:59 AM by JR956678 »

Offline zenmedic

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »
New to this Forum.
Thanks very much for all the intel.
The VZ cherry black grips are calling me. ;)
Before ordering... The rattle issues are only on the stealth, (S) right?

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
New to this Forum.
Thanks very much for all the intel.
The VZ cherry black grips are calling me.  

Offline zenmedic

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

Ordered!
Now where's that thumbs up smilie? ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:48:59 PM by zenmedic »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »
How about this one!  Go to PhotoBucket.

Or maybe this one!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:08:56 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln