Author Topic: Shot timer  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Robar233

• Master
Shot timer
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:26:22 PM »
Dear Members,

I had the opportunity to be timed on the range this week with a shot timer. I think it is a great training tool. Do any of you have any suggestions on a brand and features to look for? I think it could be fun to practice with one of these devices. I am hoping to keep the purchase under $200.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Robar233

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Shot timer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
I use a calendar for slow fire. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
Is that similar to a metronome or just a time limit device? It works well in a golf swing or putting stroke or anything else where motion coordination and rhythm is important just like shooting. Have you noticed when you are shooting well that things slow down to a rhythmical sequence? 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:11:34 PM by tracker »

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:59:20 AM »
No, a shot timer is a device that is usually worn on the belt .  it sounds a tone and starts timing. Timing stops when it picks up the report of the shot. It is a good way to practise for some forms of competition and to measure how fast you can get your gun into play. Indicating if you need to work on a differant carry rig or change something else. Nice piece of Kit.  Midway USA has them for decent prices as well as Cheaper than dirt. Most have customer ratings attached as well.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:03:25 AM »
No, a shot timer is a device that is usually worn on the belt .  it sounds a tone and starts timing. Timing stops when it picks up the report of the shot. It is a good way to practise for some forms of competition and to measure how fast you can get your gun into play. Indicating if you need to work on a differant carry rig or change something else. Nice piece of Kit.  Midway USA has them for decent prices as well as Cheaper than dirt. Most have customer ratings attached as well.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Chief

another source  http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=shot+timer/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=shot_timer
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
Robar - I shoot competitively every weekend.  The three timers that Jack posted from Brownells are the ones most used. I use one of all three usually throughout the month.

Years ago I bought one made by Pact not shown which not only times, but you can hook up sky screens and use
as a chronograph.  It is a little big, about twice the size and the "pact club timer" shown and $100 more.
It's the one you see Jerry Michulik ( sp butchered sorry) using on Impossible Shots.

I don't use it much any more, I decided for a much more lighter, smaller unit, so I went withe CED 7000(the one on the far left).  It is the lightest one out there.

The other benefit of the CED7000 is there are a lot of accessories that you can get.

I bought, a car charger, a double A battery charger for out in the field -  that saved our bacon at a match when they forgot timers and I had mine, but the charge was low.  I plugged in the AA charger/piggyback and was good to go.
I also got a rubbler slip on cover for gripping and protection - like you get for your cell phone.
They have and arm band available and a lanyard.

These accessories are not available with the other units to my knowledge.   If you use the timer as much as I do, it is a Big plus.

Let me know if you have and questions.

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:19 PM »
Reinz, Jack, & Chief,

Thanks for the advice and the links. I like the CED7000 & the pro model. I think I will pick one up soon.

Yankee2500 you should switch to an abacus for a counter, it is more high tech than the calendar!

Thanks guys.

Robar233

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
+1 for the CED - I have a PACT IV, and its a great timer, but it is huge - very loud beep, though... 

I also shoot a match every weekend, and the progress you can make of 100 rounds of practice, under a timer, and tracking your score, is much greater than shooting w.o. one. 

There's a free scoring app out now called... Practiscore, I think.  I set up "matches" in it for practice, then record my time and scoring. 
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.