Author Topic: Hurricane Dennis  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Hurricane Dennis
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:05:13 PM »
The latest report up here in Tennessee indicates that Hurricane Dennis is already a Category III storm, that it is expected to grow stronger after passing western Cuba, and that its projected track has shifted somewhat to the east, bringing the Keys and the west coast of Florida into the cone.  In another thread, some of us have already wished "Fly & Scuba" in the Pensacola area all the best with this monster.  We must now include RJ, Duane, and the others in that area in our thoughts and prayers.

Good luck, all of you, and God Speed!

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: Hurricane Dennis
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 11:18:53 PM »
Well said Richard!!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 11:28:24 PM »
Richard - I will join Dave and ditto your mention and sentiments.  I am appalled that already we have the folks down there at substantial risk - after last year it seems as though more is unfair and unjustified.  Mother Nature of course has no friends and family - she does her own thing.

I hope sincerely that all the folks will ride this out without loss of home, possessions or harm to self.

Hope to hear from all ''out the other side''.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 08:57:03 AM »
He's a Cat 4 now -- with prospects of growing stronger once he enters the warm Gulf waters.

I'm packing up the travel trailer today for a buddy to relocate to Alabama, and I'll most likely fly the airplane out on Saturday morning -- destinatation TBD...

Things are really crazy around here -- gasoline sold out, plywood and OSB sold out -- generators sold out -- grocery stores with bare shelves -- short tempers with local drivers, etc.

I was hoping that Ivan would be a "once-in-a-lifetime" storm for this area.  If Dennis makes a direct hit or near miss at anything stronger than a Cat 1 hurricane, the effects will be devastating to the area since there is no barrier (sand dunes) left on the barrier island after Ivan.

The 16 foot storm surge did the most damage to my place last year.  Dennis is predicted to have a similar or higher strom surge.

I don't wish Dennis on anyone (not even communist Cuba) -- maye it will stall or weaken somehow prior to landfall in the US...

Good luck to all on the coast.  
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 09:13:10 AM »
Fly,
  Just take care and get out safely with your loved ones. RJ & Duane be careful and be safe. you can always get more stuff. Our thoughts are with you, be safe. Just find a Shoney's some place north and ride it out. Stay near the buffet!

Good luck and stay safe,

Mike
doubletapMike

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 11:05:37 AM »
To all Rohrbaugh Floridians, go seek shelter at the nearest GunShow this weekend, which happens to be at Orlando's Central Florida Fairground! Sat & Sun 9-5!   :D

Info & map: http://southernclassicgun.com/

Be safe and Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 01:09:43 AM by cuteo100 »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 01:03:47 PM »
Sound advice from another forum member!!!  Fly, RJ and Duane, y'all take care and god speed.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Larry

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 03:52:49 PM »
Dear Fellow R9'ers: I am newly registered on the site. I have enjoyed reading it for several weeks now.  
I live in Hallandale Beach, FL and was nervous for a short time. Since Dennis was looking very Ivan-ish, We on the east coast are not very worried.
I do wish all of you in the Gulf Shores the very best possible outcome and out prayers and support are with you.
Soon to create a 'profile', New member, Larry.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 03:55:03 PM »
Larry - welcome to board.  :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 04:33:58 PM »
 Floridian forum members:

Extra prays will be said for you and your families.

Stay safe.

Bill  

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Hurricane Dennis
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 04:46:11 AM »
>>More prayers on the way from the Mid-Atlantic region to the Florida forum folks...!...

Also - I too would like to welcome Larry to the forum.  Be sure to fill us in at some point as to who you are and what your experience has been with the R9 thus far...?...!!...TW<<

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 05:28:03 AM »
Fly, RJ & Duane,
       How are you guy's making out? Any good news to report? Everybody safe and sound? You're all in our thoughts and prayers.

Mike
doubletapMike

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 08:32:08 AM »
Dateline Clearwater, FL...

Dennis will pass well off-shore, but we will have some nasty weather -- heavy rain, some coastal flooding, isolated tornadoes, and tropical storm force winds.  

I am in the middle of the Pinellas County penninsula and on high ground.  I have no real worries unless I get hit by the random tornado or microburst.  I will be staying home today, but plan to do some chores around (inside) the house.  This will be a good test for my new roof!  ;D

The Florida panhandle, on the otherhand, looks to be in trouble again -- just 10 months later.  Good luck Fly and any others -- we are thinking about you.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 10:18:08 AM »
 We won't be running the lawn sprinklers today.... Nothing but frequient showers here, for now.   We live a little South and East of Gator, more inland, so it shouldn't get bad.

We have a new roof, as well.
RJ=

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 11:32:48 AM »
After the first floor back (bayside) walls blew in with the storm surge last year, I decided to rebuild them with garage doors on both the front and rear walls.  When I secured everything and evacuated yesterday, I pulled up all four doors so the water could pass through with less resistance.  We'll see if my little experiment helps.

My neighbors teased me when I rebuilt that way -- saying Ivan was a "once-in-a-lifetime" storm....  They weren't teasing me yesterday when they were removing things from their first levels that they had rebuilt as living space rather than a "blow out" space.

Myself, the airplane, and my travel trailer are all up in Montgomery at a co-worker's.  I'll ride the storm out up here, though this area of Alabama will most likely feel significant effects from Dennis too.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...