Author Topic: Another subtle manufacturing change?  (Read 2785 times)

JimB

Another subtle manufacturing change?
« on: September 08, 2004, 01:08:16 PM »
I received my R9-S last night, and will take it out later today to punch some paper.  But first I have two little questions:

My grey frame has S/N R21x, which seems well below the numbers which earlier threads have said were now being issued.  Any ideas how?  The gun was ordered mid-May and shipped from the factory Thursday, Sept 2.

Second, although I ordered an R9-S and the slide does indeed have sights on top, the engraving on the right side of the slide says only "R9."  Pictures I have seen posted here show the engraved "-S" on the sighted models.  Have they done away with engraving the "-S" on the sighted models?  Any clues?  Perhaps you folks with early models with the "-S" have yet another element to claim as a peculiarity.

Of course, these questions merely arise from idle curiosity, and a desire for us to document and understand the nuanced changes made early on in the production of what may develop into a cult gun (only performance over time will tell).

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Another subtle manufacturing change?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 02:37:08 PM »
Not sure about the "s"...

I had mentioned this serial number sequence issue earlier. The serial number on your frame is the order in which the frame was made.  They were sent out for annodizing in different batches, and when building a gun they just grab a frame.  The number has nothing to do with when it left the factory.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 06:50:31 PM »
I just got my R9S last week and it also only says R9 without the S on the slide.  My serial # is R19*
I lucked into mine; no long wait at all.  I contacted Rohrbaugh to find out if they'd recently shipped to any dealers and they gave me names of a couple to try.  Lo and behold both of the dealers I called had some in stock.  I couldn't whip out my credit card fast enough.  Had them ship to my local FFL and I picked it up the following day!  Shot a couple of magazines last night (it was dark already).  UMC 115 gr. JHP (wal mart) had one FTE.  I'm not concerned about reliability yet; I plan on putting at least a couple hundred rounds through it first.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 08:18:49 AM »
I lucked into mine; no long wait at all.  I contacted Rohrbaugh to find out if they'd recently shipped to any dealers and they gave me names of a couple to try.  Lo and behold both of the dealers I called had some in stock.  

BAH!  And I'm still waiting mine that was ordered in late May/early June!
--Frank C. (FJC)

BobJ

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 01:56:27 AM »
I also got one quickly - - effectively about 3 days, considering holiday, from order to delivery.  Mine came from Wild West Guns, in Alaska.  At one time they had 10 in stock;  don't know how many are left.