Author Topic: Next ammo tests planned  (Read 7000 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Next ammo tests planned
« on: August 17, 2004, 08:08:17 PM »
dmobrien kindly sent me some Win Ranger rounds ...... 147 grn SXT fairly recently ..... thx to him.  I hadn't been able to evaluate them as yet due to time constraints but - more importantly - couldn't really justify setting things up for just one brand.

Today I was out and about and two gun shops helped me add three other varieties of std pressureround as yet not been thru my test program.  These are ....

WWB 147 grn JHP, WWB 115 grn JHP and, CCI Blazer 115 grn JHP.

So - four more brands now ready to compare with all others to date and hope very much to find a half day before too long to get to the range.  I'll take some pics of the bullet designs for comparison first of course and start a new thread once I have data.  

I'll be interested as usual to see velocities, spreads, and with Blazer if any extraction issues.  Plus hopefully also make up a new wet pack.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Next ammo tests planned
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 08:44:17 AM »
That is a great service to the board and I look forward to your usual thorough report!  Thanks.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 11:25:18 AM »
Chris:

I am still waiting delivery of my order of Remingon 147 gr. Golden Sabers, and will forward some to you when they arrive.  I have had an unexpectedly difficult time fulfilling my commitment in that regard.  My dealer thinks that my order may be in by Saturday.  If so, I shall try to get a supply off to you by UPS, which I understand will accept ammo for shipping.

Thank you for being willing to take on the testing project.  It is a great service to the Forum members.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 11:50:20 AM »
Ahhh Richard ... yes the GS 147's.  I got so close to loading some of those 147 bullets but decided in the end, there was no way I could accurately guarantee they'd mimick a factory round.

I know Dan was hoping for some fairly quick results on the Rangers he sent but - hoping he can hang in there and wait a spell .... so then, I'll put this on hold until I get those rounds from you Richard.  That'll give 5 brands for test which is plenty enough for a useful session.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 09:54:13 AM »
WWB 147 grn JHP

These "cheap" WWB 147 JHP work pretty well, less expansion and more penetration in my soaked telephone book testing, but certainly adequate. WalMart carries them also so should be readily available.

Round Penetration (inches)
Win Ranger 7.26, 7.5
Speer GD 7.5, 6.25 (flyer, hit spine)
Rem GS 7.5, 6.0 (keyhole owing to proximity of other hole)
WWB JHP 8.75, 8.75

I *did* buy a case of the Win Ranger-T 147 grn for my Kahr PM9. Price was right.

One of these 147 is my planned carry ammo for the R9.

- Dan

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 10:09:09 AM »
Thx for the pic Dan ...  all most useful info.

Sorry about delay doing those Rangers .... as said - really now just gotta wait till all other types are in and then get onto it.  It's particularly desirable to do all in one session because of prep'ing wet pack - and I may try and find enough papers to make two.

Looks like we'll altogether have ...

WWB 115 JHP (bought these recently)
WWB 147 JHP (bought these recently)
Blazer 115 JHP (bought these recently)
Win Rangers (from your good self)

Waiting on coming in .....

Silver tips
Fed frangibles
GS 147's.

So - quite a selection, and I think that'll be enough for the pup and my hand in one session!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 02:19:34 PM »
Chris:

Murphy and his law are alive and well.  

I went to my FFL's shop this morning to take delivery of my order for 147 gr. Remington 9mm Golden Sabers, intending to go from there to UPS to send a supply to you.  When we opened the shipping container, we found that the distributor had sent not the Golden Sabers but 200 rounds of 147 gr. Remington 9mm SUBSONIC cartridges.  That stuff is designed for use in silenced machine guns!  My friend is sending the whole lot back to the distributor with an irate note and a demand for express delivery of the Golden Sabers he had ordered.  We're now hoping to have them next week.

I'm sorry about all this confusion.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 06:26:54 PM »
Richard .... well, all I can tell you is - that Murphy is omnipresent ..... if not omnipotent also! ;D

No sweat - just let me know more when you know yourself and as I said, I am still waiting on 2 others.  So - daresay it'll all come together just fine.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 02:14:10 PM »
Just checking .... I am outa town from this afternoon .. coupla days ...... but wondering re the GS's Richard? and ... oh heck, who was gonna send some Fed frangibles?  I forget.

I have five varieties on hand to go with right now and thought I'd check and see if these other two were likely to show or not.  

If not then next week I'll try and get on with this rather overdue next test session ... time permitting.  Sorry about delay.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 05:17:50 PM »
Chris:

My dealer just notified me that my order of 147 gr. 9mm GS had arrived at his shop.  Barring another appearance by Murphy and his Law, I'll pick it up on Saturday and get a box off to you by UPS.

Thanks again for your willingness to take on this testing project.  It is very helpful information you are providing.

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 03:55:19 PM »
Thx Richard ..... I hadn't wanted to seem pushy or anything but - reckon I do need to get this stuff done soon ... but still danged if I can remember who suggested sending a few of the Fed frangibles! ???

Anyways ... hopefully I can set something up later in coming week.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2004, 12:17:51 PM »
Chris:

I picked up the 147 grain Golden Sabers on Saturday.  The local UPS office was closed by the time I got there and will repoen on Tuesday.  I'll get a box off to you by overnight delivery then.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004, 02:30:03 PM »
Richard . thx .. I will see if I can schedule some time at the range end of week.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 09:21:07 PM »
Chris:

Murphy is alive and well.  I'm sending you a PM.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 09:22:26 PM »
In speaking with Eric Rohrbaugh today they use the Blazer 115 gr FMJ in testing...

Eric said to be very wary of any ammo that may have the least bit of a rounded under-edge of the rim - such that the extractor would not get a nice sharp grip on the casing.  

By the way, I got a chance to try some Federal 124 gr FMJ NATO stamped ammo from www.Ammoman.com today and it was VERY accurate from my Rohrbaugh.  It runs about $135 per thousand.  However, from our testing on the Chrony, it was still not as consistently the same speed as good ole' WWB in 115.  It felt a bit stouter in recoil than WWB of course since it is 124 gr.  Just... FWIW and FYI.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com