Author Topic: Next ammo tests planned  (Read 6998 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Next ammo tests planned
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2004, 09:30:18 PM »
Richard .... oh dear .. sounds like a problem ... I'll watch for PM

Jody - sounds like a valid point that, re rim profile being sharp for extraction.  Blazer is one of my next test rounds . and am not expecting wonderful results but - we'll see.

Fed 124 FMJ .... not tried myself but - sounds like OK value for plinking!  WWB still for me too comes out well up the list.

I have made up a new newspaper pack .. we expect a lot of rain tomrrow late - and so the current ''dry pack'' is sitting outside in my trailer waiting to get soaked ... after which a final immersion in a bath of water will prep it ready for use.:D

All being well, I may try and do what ammo I have on Friday ...
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »
Richard - haven't managed to locate 147 GS's so far - will probably just try and go ahead with the five types I now have on hand and leave GS's for another time .. there are bound to still be some varieties so far not done.

Here is a pic of the five we'll do . Sorry, the white balance setting got somewhat off!  I'll probably use this again when I write up test data, just for reference.

I noticed some difference in heights and so measured OAL's .. which are on the pic.  Gold Dot 124's come out about same as Blazer ...... 1.124 ...... but strange that the Silvertips and both WWB offerings are shorter.

Book OAL is usually shown as 1.168" - 1.169" ... but this would be for a hardball.  I guess with HP type bullets, and depending on ogive radius etc ... we have to imagine the bullet as if the ''missing'' part was actually there.

Anyways - we'll see how they perform soon now I hope.

Oops - forgot the pic .. Duh!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 08:12:06 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
Re: Next ammo tests planned - done!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 02:34:49 PM »
Went to range this morning .. and went thru more tests.  Some quite interesting results and I have gotten to thinking about some apparent anachronisms ... re bullet expansion .....and wet pack etc.  Relates back to last test re GS's . I have a theory.

I have a load of data to go thru and get written up - targets to scan .. so, with a busy weekend ahead it'll maybe take me a while to get it all together.  Oh and ... gotta gun to clean!

Later
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 12:16:09 AM »
Update .... I have my images prepared and am perhaps half ways thru the write-up ... got a lot on right now so - picking away at it as best I can.

Hope to release the results by end of week all being well.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 12:29:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to this.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 12:08:33 AM »
Write-up complete .... just running it by Eric with one or two queries but should be able to post link in day or so.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site