Author Topic: In Preparation for my Rohrbaugh R9s...  (Read 3166 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
In Preparation for my Rohrbaugh R9s...
« on: September 15, 2004, 01:29:54 AM »
>>Hi All...

I am a CCW holder and a BIG guy...currently carry a Glock #36 in a belly pouch, but also have an assortment of other fine guns for the job... including some of smaller stature like the Kel Tec & NAA Guardian .380s.  I am very much looking forward to taking ownership of a Rohrbaugh with thoughts of making it my primary carry piece.

I have an R9s on order, which Eric thinks will get to me by the end of October.  Meanwhile, I have been doing my homework to make sure I have what I will need on hand when this fine critter arrives to better ensure it's survival.  By now I have probably read every post on this forum in addition to all other printed material I have been able to get my hands on.  At this point I am looking for suggestions on things I might have overlooked which will prove useful to better knowing and lovin this gun.

I have four boxes of Speer GD 115g HP on order to feed it...still considering a good pratice round for breaking in, etc.  As has been suggested I have a small vice on hand with leather pads to assist on take downs, as might be needed.  I've also got several versions of a take down tool made of PVC rod and plastic, although I really like the one described on the forums with a hole for punching out the pin.  Myhobbit...?  Likewise I have a selection of 1/16" punches, including the brass Brownell's version.  As a home I have an assortment of leather and nylon Pocket Holsters, concealed carry rigs, and pouches...although probably sooner than later I will be looking to get a couple R9s specific holsters/holders, probably from a couple other forum members.

Can anyone think of any other R9 kit that I may have left out...?...all thoughts/suggestions/comments appreciated...TW<<

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: In Preparation for my Rohrbaugh R9s...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 08:33:34 AM »
Judging by the enthusiastic post, I would suggest a camera.  We all love photo's !!  
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 12:07:14 AM »
Hey TW -- welcome !  :)

I agree ... camera - for sure!!

You seem pretty well set up otherwise ..... I am hoping my #2 R9 will be along before too long now - we have to be patient.

Your choice of GD 115's is spot on .. that IMO is the archetypal carry round, with 124's a close second.

I have just completed test #3 of ammo in my R9 and, subject to Eric having a read thru my write-up ... will be posting the link to that in a day or so hopefully.

I'll post links to all tests so far . so if you haven't seen that info yet ... it may be of interest.  GD's come out on top every time.

Despite the chance of the occasional FTF, FTE with WWB 115 FMF ammo - it is about the cheapest, and IMO makes for OK practice ammo.  Not too much to beat it.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
In Preparation for my Rohrbaugh R9s...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 12:27:00 AM »
>>Thanks for the Greetings, RJ and R9.  I also have some Speer GD in 124g, so by the time the gun appears I should have a variety of full course meals to feed it.  And because I shoot a lot of 9mm anyway I already have a few thousand rounds of WWB 115 in stock (love those bulk boxes at Wal Mart).  Oh yeah...also have a couple digi cams on hand so assuming it is as easy to post pics here as on other forums - I will be sure to share R9s proud parent pics, when available.

So where do folks stand on producing those spiffy take down gagets which include the hole to fit a punch...?  Has anyone produced these commercially yet...?  One way or another I would love to get on someone's list for a couple, when available.

Shoot well & often...!...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 12:35:02 AM »
TW ..... Shelb is hoping to get some made up eventually but he has been tied up with moving etc .... if you find/found the thread with that featured ..... this one I think .

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1091208985

I don't find I need it 100% . chopstick works well!!  but .... it could be an ideal tool for most tho.

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Lucky me...
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 09:40:56 PM »
>>It seems I lucked into an R9s today as I was an early bird on the worm.  It seems fellow forum poster "Yadda_Yadda" decided last night to sell off his two R9s pistols and I happened to be the first guy who saw the add with money in my pocket...!  So...assuming everything works out - by next week at this time I should be a proud owner of my first R9s, an early gun just barely broken in.

I still have my original gun on order and plan to take possession of it too, when available.  Just means I will have to sell an extra snake, which is what I do for work these days (I'm a retired Government subsidised Snake and Dragon farmer = Smithsonian Biologist).  What a wonderful day...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 09:50:13 PM »
Ahah ... sounds good!  Just a few days and we welcome you also to the owners club!  Look forward to hearing your first impressions.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site