Author Topic: R9s Cleaning  (Read 8372 times)

Offline HLG

R9s Cleaning
« on: June 29, 2004, 02:13:47 PM »
I got my R9s last Friday and finally got to shoot it yesterday, Monday. I tried three different kinds of ammo, Winchester White Box 115 fmj, Winchester 115 jhp, and Speer 115 Gold Dot. I couldn't make the gun mess up no matter how I shot it. I have rather small hands and wrists, and it was painful on the wrists shooting with one hand. The gun shot to point of aim and grouped well. You couldn't ask any more of a small self defense gun. The only problems I had was in take-down and re-assembly. I bought one of the brass 1/16" punches from Brownell's, but it didn't work well for me. The pin in my R9s is in so tight, I had to use a plastic hammer and the punch to get it out. I held the gun in place and has my wife use the hammer. Once the pin was out the rest of the take-down was simple. Getting the gun back together was another problem. It took many tries to get the guide rod just right to get the slide back on. Once that was done, I had to hold the gun with the pin holes lined up, while my wife hammered the pin back into place. I am not looking foward to having to clean this gun again, which may limit target practice with it.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: R9s Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 04:11:40 PM »
Welcome HLG,

Like you, I've had no problems at all shooting the Rohrbaugh and I agree that one couldn't ask for more in a fine small self defense gun. I have about 425 rounds through mine now and consider it to be utterly reliable and broken in. Not a single bobble in breaking it in. I couldn't be happier with it. I expected a lot from the Rohrbaugh and it has exceeded my expectations.

You may have already read some of the threads here about disassembly. What I've done to make disassembly easier for me is to whittle a dowel down to just a hair under 5mm and use that in the "stovepipe" position sticking up from the chamber.

That puts the takedown pin in just exactly the perfect position on the left side, and take-down with the punch becomes a fairly easy one person job. Disassembly and reassembly have become easier with repetition, probably because  the parts become a little looser, and the procedure has become more familiar.

I suspect Brownell's has had a run on their 1/16" brass punches, several of us have ordered them. And Gold Dot has probably noticed a recent run on their 115 9mms. We should call it the Rohrbaugh ripple effect.

By the way, you're fortunate to have such a nice,
co-operative wife!  ;D

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 08:44:47 PM »
I should have purchased some Speer stock (are they public?) BEFORE Chris posted his great ammo testo data.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 09:54:52 PM »
HLG:

Welcome to the Forum.

I have to admit that my wife is also my secret weapon when it comes to reassembling the R9S.  Together, we've become pretty good at it.  And yes, I also have my Brownell's 1/16th" punch.  (Thanks, GeorgeH, for the advice.)

Also, 9mil.mouse seems to have broken R. J. Hedley's code, which he shared with me, for reassembling this "pocket rocket."  Seecamp uses a spent cartridge.  Someone should check with Karl and Eric and race to the patent office.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 11:02:25 PM »
HLG - welcome from me too!  :)

The disassembly/reassembly does get easier .. trust me!!  I mentioned in a thread elsewhere here .. be sure also to ensure that recoil spring assembly is parallel both to frame laterally and vertically, before putting slide back ... it is quite critical so as the relief on the frame ''accepts'' the disc (which bears against the barrel lug).

Apart from the dowel idea .. may I suggest another ''Mr Easy'' ... cut two inches off a chopstick - the end with taper .. you'll find probably that there is a diameter there that'll just do the trick!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline HLG

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 09:44:22 AM »
I forgot to mention why the 1/16" punch didn't work well for me. It was too short. Since my pin is so tight, it had to be driven out with a plastic hammer, and the punch would only reach part way. I found a nail that would fit the hole and filed the end flat, and used that to drive the pin out.  If the pin loosens up over time, the punch would work ok. Just push the pin out far enough to get ahold of it with your fingers and pull it the rest of the way out.  From reading the manual that seems to indicate the way it is supposed to work.  I found an orange plastic T-shaped thing that came in the bore of another gun when shipped from the factory, that holds the frame open just the distance to line up the holes. Thanks for all the help.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 09:56:58 AM »
HLG
Very interesting post.   The little orange thing you spoke of, or something similar, has be discussed here in other posts,  a much needed item!
RJ=

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 10:27:26 PM »
My Brownells bronze punch pushes the pin out far enough for me to get a finger grip on it and pull it out.  I use a Glock type hold on it to reassemble.  Takes a bit of hand strength but works.  I am MUCH better at disassembly/assembly than I was at first.  I would like a device to hold the slide back to alighn the pin and pin hole.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 01:29:49 AM »
I tried the dowel method. I used a belt sander, starting with a quarter inch dowel. A couple passes on the sander and the diameter was perfect. It holds the slide open perfectly now. No more wishing I had a third hand.
Thanks for the tips.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 01:31:03 AM by doctordun »

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 08:29:31 AM »
HLG
Very interesting post.   The little orange thing you spoke of, or something similar, has be discussed here in other posts,  a much needed item!
Yes, it would be nice if Rohrbaugh would include a plastic "takedown block" with their guns, like Kahr does. There's a photo of one here in the "Accessories" section.
http://www.kahrshop.com/

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 09:15:51 AM »
Here it is.....Thanks harrydog

« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 10:57:32 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 09:12:53 PM »
Sooo,
       Is this what we need to help us out??
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 08:57:57 AM »
R9SCarry....thanks for chopsticks idea...just tried it and it works perfectly.......my advice to everyone is to eat Chinese on your way home from picking up your new Rohrbaugh...and save the chopsticks!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 01:32:11 PM »
hehe ...... works just great eh Jim .....

As Forest might have said .... ''Simple is - as simple does'' ...  ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

BobJ

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2004, 02:44:00 AM »
Question about the brass punch:  
I had read some of the other discussion about getting a brass punch, and wondered why the R9 manual didn't mention brass.  So, I called the factory, and Eric (I think) said brass is not necessary; steel is fine.  
Are you using brass out of an abundance of caution, or is there some other factor to be considered?  I want to treat my R9 right.  
I tried briefly to get the pin out and found it too tight to move with just hand pressure.  Will try later, and see what happens - - after getting a chopstick.