Author Topic: R9s Cleaning  (Read 8373 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: R9s Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2004, 09:43:26 AM »
Bob ...... IMO steel is OK .. I happen to already have a steel one and so did not specially get one in brass.  On balance I reckon brass is good because even safer but, I think folks would have to be very rough with steel to cause any bad marring.

My pin is firm but not over tight so - once ready to drift it out, there's not too much needed, more than a few light taps.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2004, 12:52:36 PM »
I returned my brass punch to Brownells (great company) in favor of bamboo skewers.  They are the perfect diameter and very strong and there's no chance of marring the finish.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

BobJ

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 02:01:35 AM »
The Kahr Takedown Block apparently would work for R9 if the part that goes into the chamber is the right diameter.  Does anyone with a Kahr and an R9 have one of these to try?  Cost is only $5.  We could drill the hole needed for the R9 pin punch.

BobJ

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 02:20:40 AM »
There have been several discussions about ways to make the take down process a little simpler, and I tried some of those.  I had a chopstick which was just the right diameter (actually almost square), and it works well.  To put the pin back in, I cut the chopstick short enough to allow turning the R9 over with the chopstick section in place.  The idea of a leather-covered 2 X 4 with a hole to receive the pin when it comes out was good, and that got me to thinking about another approach.

Basically, it is a board with two pegs to hold the gun in place, a hole to receive the pin, and two holes to serve as anchor points for a rod used to lever the slide back.  I used a 10 inch section of decking plank (actual size 1 X 5 ˝ X 10).  Pegs are ˝ inch dowel.  Lever rod is 3/16 inch steel (a 3 ˝ inch 12d nail is just as good). Everything was dipped or sprayed with Plasti Dip rubberized coating.  The three photos and a general description may be enough for most people.  If anyone wants more detail about materials or methods, I will be glad to provide it.  I will be making some improvements later.      
This device makes pin removal and replacement very easy.

Photo 1:  Board showing pegs; pin hole; two lever holes, with lever rod in one.  And punch.  
Photo 2: Gun in place, with slide levered back to create alignment for pin removal.    
Photo 3: Gun in place, with slide levered back to create alignment for replacing pin.

[Can't get the photos to transfer here.  I don't have photo software on my PC.  The photos were on a CD and I transferred them to my C: drive.  If someone can tell me how to do it, I will put up the photos.  Or, if someone would be willing to post them, I can e-mail them to you.]

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2004, 01:22:10 PM »
Bob ... I'll throw you a PM and give you info so you can send me the pics - I'll host them and put them up for you.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2004, 03:02:04 PM »
Here you go Bob ..... for those looking .. refer to Bob's post above.

Photo 1:  Board showing pegs; pin hole; two lever holes, with lever rod in one.  And punch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Photo 2: Gun in place, with slide levered back to create alignment for pin removal.

Photo 3: Gun in place, with slide levered back to create alignment for replacing pin.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2004, 03:50:15 PM »
Neat. Let me know when you'll accept orders.
Welcome home

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2004, 04:09:44 PM »
That's great..  we have another "Thinking Man"...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:17:24 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2004, 06:18:27 PM »
Bob ... a thought .... seeing as you have done all the hard work ...... could you add just a diagram with dimensions.  If you could sketch something on paper and scan it perhaps - or take a digi pic .. I'll put it thru CAD and post a final dimensioned dwg.  if you can do that .. (grovel! :D ) ... send me a pic again by email and I'll do the rest.

Looks like this set up will work pretty well.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

BobJ

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2004, 08:23:26 PM »
Chris,
Yes, I will do a dimensional drawing, and get it to you, along wilth a description of some of the process, and thoughts about modifications.   If you want to post the text with the drawing, that suits me.  Or, I can post the text myself if you prefer.  I just want to make the info available to other R9 owners so they can use it if they want to make one for themselves.  
But, am I missing a chance for a fortune?  Suppose in a few years there are thousands of R9 owners, and maybe 25% of them would pay to have one of these, at $??, plus shipping.  I could afford to have an R9 for each of my Mercedes, Porsches, Lears, and yachts.  Well, let's hope some one doesn't jump in and patent it, and take away my chance for a little comfort in old age.     >:(     :'(  
Bob

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2004, 08:34:12 PM »
Bob, that 25% who might pay for a ''device'' .. will always be there ... they want no hassles making stuff ... easier to buy!

A ''production'' version would IMO be made out of a piece of injection moulded thermoplastic (''hollow'' underneath except for reinforcing gussets)... with the holes all included (blind holes) ..... and the dowels would be nylon with a taper so they insert to fit tight.  The levers ... well they could be heat treated aluminum perhaps, or very rigid plastic.

However ... I think the majority of us here are sufficiently ''DIY'' to make up something like this.  I could work out dimensioning with experiment as you probably did but hey ... I am a lazy ol' toad!! ;D  We'll call this the MkI ... and see if we can come up with any further mod's between us.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site