Author Topic: The carry pre-requisite.  (Read 8018 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
The carry pre-requisite.
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:02:26 AM »
IMO anyways.

Situational awareness

Much is spoken of this but the more I carry the more I am aware that it is vital.  Not to levels of paranoia for sure but ----- simply having one's piece on the person is not enough.  The time needed to bring it into play must perforce depend on recognition of a threat .... possibly a very short time frame.  But- time enough to place hand over grips in pocket perhaps - time enough to hover ready to sweep aside shirt etc.

I am probably preaching entirely to the choir - because I am sure those of us who carry - whatever piece - will think this way... or should.

I serve this up purely as a reminder ..... nothing more.  This need to try and not be in condition white too much at all .... instead condition yellow ..... just simply being alert and aware of things that just may not quite ''fit in'' in any given situation.  As they say '' You can't make appointments for emergencies''.

I carry 24/7 as most know - or to be more precise 16/7!!  But - if I go out front to mail box, I scan .. all ways ... just to check ... I try and ''listen hard'' ..... all things that keep one's level of awareness above zero!  I walk down yard to office - I scan and listen.  Is everything as I expect?

The same applies in every day situations too - fast food pick up - gas station register .... even while filling up.  Entering and leaving stores ....... time within said stores.

Many folk accuse me of paranoia (non gunnie folks really) ..... and whilst I admit that (hopefully) I will never have need of my ''final arbitor'' .... it would be pretty useless if, come the day it was needed, I was half asleep!

I am fortunate - I live quite rural ... a low crime area for most part but ... even other day the paper reported a house invasion ... not so many miles away ..... you cannot plan for these things and so - must be alert.

Verbose rambling over ....... but - do not relax your attention too much, that's all. :) You guys are special.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline gunner930

Re: The carry pre-requisite.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 01:29:44 PM »
 Your definately not preaching or paranoid! I think anyone wether they own a gun or not should always be over-aware of whats going on in their surroundings. I find myself always watching people for suspicious behavior. I have many times stayed in my favorite convienance store extra long or at least in the car there until some strange acting, very drunk, ect. person leaves. We've had a large increase in convienance store robberies in my area lately.
 I have reported suspicious people to the police several times when they were up to no good. Helped bust one punk in my parents neighborhood at 1am who then tried to hide from the police officers, twice I've followed suspicious people while on my cell until the police caught up. They too were up to no good.
 I guess you could say I'm a "citizen cop". Alot of my friends tease me about those times but I have always seemed to have a keen eye for trouble. "Knock on wood"! I once was very interested in getting into law inforcement. Everyone should be a citizen cop.  ;)

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 02:30:27 PM »
I can identify!  I think a concealed weapon's effectiveness is severely dropped if one is not properly alert.  Teaching yourself to be aware of the surroundings and potential threats is almost as important a step in preparation for self defense as arming yourself in the first place.

In places we've been on vacation where conceal carry is not permitted.....I always feel very uneasy.  Stress that 'very' part if I am in a big city.  Like the wide open spaces more, heck...can carry in most of those places anyway.  It's just that I see potential threats everywhere....and being underequipped to deal with them, should it materialize, makes me even more paranoid of the potential threats........a conundrum I guess  :D

My wife does think I am paranoid.....I guess I am to a certain extent.  I think its in my genetic makeup.  I try to be very careful and aware in everything I do.  Sometimes I do step back, and marvel... 'I'm being kinda silly'........for example, you should see the security measures I have installed on my laptop alone  ;D

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 07:06:01 PM »
 :o I think it is good to keep ourselves reminded, to always seek a higher level of awareness... and in my case to listen to my 'hunches' :)
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 10:38:21 PM »
Jody:

Yes.  I trust my "hunches."  While too much paranoia can be debilitating, a little bit of it can be conducive to good health.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline gunner930

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 08:06:34 AM »
 Shelb, I can totally relate to that feeling while on vacation. I wish states that allow concealed carry by permits, would recognize other state's permits as legal. I doubt that will ever happen with all the "gun control red tape" that exists. Probebly one state would say anothers carry requirements were'nt strict enough and so on... Some of our lawyer friends here may have some factual input on this.
 When I'm down in DDGaters area of St. Pete Beach, I love walking on the beach at night. I usually have a large canister of Mace Pepper Foam, my stun gun, and a double edged butterfly knife on me. Some or all of these items may not be legal there and it wont help against another gun, but it makes me feel better having them.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 01:36:04 PM »
Thanks for the info jim!
Yea, thank God for the laws in California.....it's like the wild west here in Kentucky with our lax gun laws.  :D

Offline gunner930

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 02:17:29 PM »
 Jim, Thanks alot! I'll verify the laws and my R9 will get to hear the ocean's waves. Maybe when I return to TN, with the chamber empty of course, I can still hear the waves in my R9's barrel like with sea shells. Ha Ha Ha  :P

Offline TW

• Grand Master
The carry pre-requisite.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 01:18:21 PM »
>>I live in Virginia, which shares Carry reciprocity with few other States.  I Recently obtained an out-of-State Carry permit from Florida (I do business there), which has reciprocity with most other Carry States so I am pretty well covered across the Country.  Now...if only Maryland and South Carolina would join in reciprocity with Virginia and/or Florida I would be a happy camper...!...TW<<  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2004, 02:35:14 PM »
Welcome TW ..  :)  

[size=13] Now...if only Maryland and South Carolina would join in reciprocity with Virginia and/or Florida[/size]

If only we had nation-wide carry!  That would get rid of all the fog and wonder over what the heck is the case in this state or that state.  I think IL should be added to your mention of SC and MD should it not?  Oh and CA too but I guess at least you do not have to venture West too much!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2004, 11:01:26 PM »
>>Thanks for the welcome, R9SCarry...

And yeppers...you are correct about OH and IL and the general need for Nation Wide Reciprocity.  I mentioned SC and MD only because those States are of personal interests...selfish beast that I am.

BTW, I am on someone's list for a R9s...although the store I plopped a deposit down at said they were willing to take consignment of any Rohrbaughs, with or without sights.  I'm thinking of calling the Rohrbaugh team to insure at least one of those guns comes with sights...!...TW<<

Offline azrael

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 09:35:30 PM »
[glb]Been a member for awhile..FIRST POSTTTTTT[/glb]

Nation wide concealed carry is a great idea...Doubt that we will ever see it, but ya never know..

Being aware of a situation is NOT paranoia (sp)..

Dave
Azrael's House of Chicken
Dave
Azrael's Custom Leather

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 10:01:56 PM »
azreal:

Glad you finally postd.  Welcome!

Chris:

I agree with you that situational awareness is absolutely key to ultimate survival.  I also carry 24/7-- or 16/7, if you count my time in bed.  However, I am by any measure better armed at night than I am when walking around during the day.

I try to keep myself at all times in what we used to call "Condition Orange," and I mentally chastise myself whenever I realize that I have not "checked the perimeter."  It has been years since I was paid to carry a weapon.  I just hope that I do not lose the edge which, long ago, I was trained to value.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2004, 10:41:28 PM »
Good to see you posting finally, azrael   ;D

I get a weekly posting from a fellow who does an on-line news report in our area that he takes from his numerous radio scanners and monitors...

I live in a nice, upscale, rather rural, resort area...  and nearly every week there is something that happens that sounds like the victim or intended victim should have been armed.  

It seems we have a fairly frequent incidence in our area, being a retirement area as well -- where several thugs do a high speed snatch, grab, knock-down, beating, kicking, car theft, mugging, etc.  The repetitive thing that concerns me is that there is a pattern of 3 to 10 thugs who attack one or two oldsters... and I AM one!  I do not like hearing this stuff.  

I have taken to parking FAR away from the store entrance, with my car out by itself - as often the thugs attack from close by where a car is parked in Handicapped parking or in a thick cluster of cars.  Sometimes the thugs are under the victims car, if they have an SUV.

I look around, keep an eye on my perimeter, carry a stout cane in my off hand, have a 5 oz. can of 15% pepper spray that shoots about a 30 foot stream, etc.  I keep a very bright light in my shirt pocket for quick access too.  

From these reports I get; I feel like I need a 20 shot .357 sig for a carry piece... More rationally, I realize that if a gang were to come at me and I were to have a pistol available, it would be hopefully be a thing like an animal pack attacking... where knocking out the leader or leader and second position attacker would likely cause the others to run off...

Getting these reports each week, keeps me in a much higher state of alertness and watchfullness than I would be otherwise.  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 10:42:13 PM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline azrael

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2004, 11:00:53 PM »
Thanks Jody.. ;D

I know what ya mean about the news reports...After hearing some of them, I REALLY question if even my Xd-9c can get the job done...I wonder if me carrying an "EBR" around with me would excite the local purveyors of truth and decency? ;D

Thinking of MAYBE a Saiga 12 with 2 spare mags on my belt..hmmmm
Dave
Azrael's Custom Leather

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)