Author Topic: Small auto torque  (Read 2876 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Small auto torque
« on: September 30, 2004, 12:34:16 AM »
One thing I find with 9mm - being a high pressure round too - is that even in a BHP - torque is quite noticeable.

In the R9 this is more pronounced but to me manageable.  RH twist in rifling means gun is gonna twist counter clockwise .. but recovery is not too bad ... probably in fact muzzle flip is way more of an issue in a small and light gun.

Any observations from R9 owners?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Small auto torque
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:52:39 PM »
Chris:

I also have noticed the torque with my R9s, but I consider the Rohrbaugh to be an up-close-and-personal defensive weapon.  I find the torque to be easily controllable, as you have stated.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 12:53:28 AM »
Ok, I'm confused...

Are you talkig about the corkscrewing that occurs during recoil?

BobJ

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 01:57:22 AM »
Me too - confused.  
If you are saying you can actually feel the torque, as opposed to the recoil, I obviously am missing part of the sensation of shooting.  Just too crude and insensitive.  Or, maybe after shooting the R9 more, I will start noting the different elements.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 10:07:23 AM »
Apolagies for any confusion .. well yes, ''corkscrewing'' - a suitable description.

I have always found the 9mm in particular to exhibit this, even in larger frame autos, like my BHP.  As the barrel axis is always above the grip and so one's hand ... the gun's reaction to bullet passage and spin application, is to want to rotate in the opposite direction.  Of course all guns show this to some degree but in many cases it is minor and ignored for the most part.  I just find the 9mm a little more apparent with this.

The upward movement of the muzzle is the major component under recoil ... maybe so much so that torque is still hardly noticed.  Probably I have been more aware of 'torquing'' since shooting years ago with a diminutive .32acp Browning ... tiny gun ... and boy, did it want to twist!

I daresay - the grip we mostly use on the R9 - being necessarily a robust hold .... pretty much controls the effect.  It is not a problem per se but - a (to me) identifiable component of the whole recoil cycle.  Aim recovery is mostly getting the muzzle back down but I certainly am aware that there is some correction also for the rotation effect ... even tho small.

Does this clarify at all? ... or does my verbosity further confuse??  ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

M38

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 12:08:10 PM »
The torque from a pistol is most noticable with a weak hand hold in my experience. Unfortunately I don't own an R9 yet so I can't comment on it.