Author Topic: Concealment - a hat??  (Read 2996 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Concealment - a hat??
« on: September 30, 2004, 12:30:35 AM »
Got to thinking ... the small R9 - could it be secreted inside a hat ... maybe a fedora, stetson.??  Always thinking of other concealment methods and just happened to wonder if a hat could cut it.

I guess a small holster and velcro attachment just could permit the housing of said piece inside a hat.  The idea actually rather appeals to me .. tho access might be slow I admit.

Any thoughts?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Concealment - a hat??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:46:52 PM »
Chris:

That is a novel and good idea.  Some people used to carry derringers in their Stetsons back in the old days.  Today, given the choices, I think I would go for a 5 oz. NAA MiniMag rather than a 12 oz. semiauto.  It would give a whole new meaning to the term, "tipping your hat."  Now, if we can just get some of the gunleather artists on this Forum to design a Stetson holster . . . .

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 08:57:10 PM »
Richard ... occurred to me that perhaps a soft holster like an Uncle Mikes .. with a velcro attachment inside the hat - just could do the trick.  Weight would be a significant factor so maybe here the R9 would be too heavy.

MiniMag perhaps yeah .. or just a P3AT . I am sure it could work, not that is that I wear those sorta hats myself . I am just a pedestrian baseball cap user! ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 01:07:10 AM »
I saw an old English derby hat, that was made with a cork lining, actually a kind of hard hat. Similar to the pith helmets used by horsemen. This hat was pre-1930's and was rigged with a "hanging" holster. I couldn't tell what kind of gun the holster was intended for, but it had to be some kind of derringer size pistol.

I think weight would be a problem, but an NAA 22 short mini revolver could work, but who knows. It would be fun to experiment.

BobJ

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 01:46:14 AM »
Isn't there an old saying about "Talking through your hat"?  This could be very expressive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Concealment - a hat??
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 09:03:09 AM »
>>Have any of you seen/used the Tilley Endurable Hats...?  These hats have a secret compartment inside the top...which could easily be used for a small gun...such as a Kel Tec.  Might be able to put an R9 in one.  Check it out.  Go to: http://www.shushans.com/twentypage.html ...TW<<

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 04:59:02 PM »
>>Have any of you seen/used the Tilley Endurable Hats...?  These hats have a secret compartment inside the top...which could easily be used for a small gun...such as a Kel Tec.  Might be able to put an R9 in one.  Check it out.  Go to: http://www.shushans.com/twentypage.html ...TW<<

I have such a Tilley hat.  I think that pocket would work, but it would be darn slow to get at (and it's velcro'd closed, so noisey to get at, too).  
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 12:20:55 AM »

I have such a Tilley hat.  I think that pocket would work, but it would be darn slow to get at (and it's velcro'd closed, so noisey to get at, too).  

>>Well...it might work if you are attacked by a deaf one legged Monkey...!...TW<<