Author Topic: Slide pin extraction hole scratching frame???  (Read 11768 times)

Offline LAA

Slide pin extraction hole scratching frame???
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
Has anyone else had trouble with the slide scratching the frame of their R9?

After I took my R9 Stealth to the range for the first time, I field stripped it to clean it and discovered that the edge of the pin extraction hole on the left side of the slide is scratching the left side of the frame.  The frame scratch coincides exactly with the recoil path-of-travel of the leftmost edge of the extraction hole on the left side of the frame; correspondingly, the black finish on the left edge of the extraction hole (it is a stealth model) on the underside of the slide has worn off where it is rubbing on the frame.  

The scratch on the frame is deep enough to have taken the finish completely off of the frame for approximately a 1 1/2 to 2" length (sorry, I don't have it with me right now to measure the exact length) and 1 mm wide scratch. In addition, the scratch has a visibly rough surface and it is deep enough to palpably feel the difference in depth where the scratch ends and the undamaged black surface takes over.  I'm pretty sure, though, that the depth of the scratch is not as bad as it visible appears and I doubt (but I am not sure) it will affect the integrity of the gun.  When I run my finger over the underside of the slide (at the offending area), it does not feel rough but obviously something was out of spec here.

I have a few questions:  (i) is there any concern that this type of a scratch can affect the integrity of the frame? Would this be akin to scoring glass or drywall such that it could break easier?  I seriously doubt it but don't know enough about the physics of metals to be sure; (ii) if I leave the gun as is, with the unfinished aluminum exposed, are there any corrosion concerns; and (iii) does anyone know whether Rohrbaugh is likely to do anything about this problem.  I know they don't warrant the finish of the gun but since this appears to be due to a manufacturing issue, I think they should do something;  Afterall, this is a $1,200 gun.

I tried calling Rohrbaugh today but they are closed for installation of a new phone and computer system and won't reopen until Monday.  Unfortunately, I had hoped to have some answers today because I was planning to go to the range today or tomorrow and don't want to shoot it if it will make the situation and worse. However, I expect everything has settled into place at this point and the scratch is as bad as it is going to get but again I can't be sure with my limited knowledge.  And, if the frame has somehow been compromised (which I again doubt but can't be sure), I don't want to risk bigger problems by firing it.

If anyone has any experience dealing with a similar problem or if anyone has any advice or suggestions, I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:51:22 PM by LAA »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Slide pin extraction hole scratching frame???
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:16:23 PM »
LAA:

If you haven't seen it already, the material at this link may be of interest with regard to "frame wear":

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/frame-wear.htm

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline LAA

tRe: Slide pin extraction hole scratching frame???
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:09:52 AM »
Don't have time right now but will try to get a photo posted as soon as possible.  fyi, the scratch on mine is on the left side of the barrel, above the trigger.  I'm not horribly concerned but it is different from any wear patterns I would expect so I am curious and a tiny bit concerned. . . one would expect wear in impact areas such as noted in the posted link but the area where this scratch is located is where I would expect the least resistance.  Anyway, I'll try to post a photo later.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:11:09 AM by LAA »

Offline LAA

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:59:07 AM »
Ok. So I have pictures but can't figure out how to post them. . .

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline LAA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the posting info.   Note that in each of the photos, the flash caused a light burst on part of the scratch making it look wider in portions.  However, the scratch is completely uniform in its width throughout the lengh of the scratch.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:33:40 PM by LAA »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
That is not a typical wear line IMO and would send her back for a check up. Wear marks are common on top of the frame rails, but I have never seen wear like that on the side. Might need a different barrel pin.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:52:51 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »
I don't see how that scratch could be from the barrel pin. It looks as if there was some metal "dreck" which became lodged between the frame and slide after being introduced in the barrel-pin hole on the left side of the slide.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
I was thinking the barrel pin may be causing the slide to chatter...  

Offline LAA

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
I don't think it is the pin causing it.  But I am curious about the pin chattering theory.

What I do know is that the edge of the hole on the underside of the slide was, at one time rubbing.  If you look at the underside of the slide, where the hole penetrates the slide, the bottom edge of the hole overlaps the slide groove.  Where the hole overlaps the slide groove,this creates something roughly appromixating a "corner" or pointy edge (this is normal).  Somehow, one of the "corner" edges (the one with the corner pointing towards the rear of the gun) was "higher" than the other and initially rubbed when the slide retracted.  However, I don't think it is rubbing anymore because I believe the mirror parts have smoothed themselves out.  You can actually see where the "corner" edge on the underside of the slide has smoothed itself out because the black has worn off of one small area.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:39:34 PM by LAA »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 08:02:41 AM »
* * * However, I don't think it is rubbing anymore because I believe the mirror parts have smoothed themselves out.  You can actually see where the "corner" edge on the underside of the slide has smoothed itself out because the black has worn off of one small area.

It would appear to me that you have diagnosed the matter properly, in which case the following observation which Chris included in his FAQ Sheet regarding another aspect of frame wear during the break-in process might be applicable:

[size=10]I am still personally content that this is self limiting and I guess if tolerances were sloppy as heck, it might not even happen. Put this another way - it is a process that will occur during early useage of the gun, after which time it cannot happen any further.[/size]

In other words, I think your "pup" has settled in and is ready to run. I would just be sure to keep the slide/frame interface well lubricated to minimize any residual friction in that area of the pistol during firing.

Good luck!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »
I think you're right.  I think it could have been a burr on the hole and just enough to cause the scratch, and then with useage caused the burr to wear away.  Good that it's not happening anymore.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline LAA

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »
Back to my original question, do I need to worry about corrosion?  I didn't think corrosion was much of a problem with aluminum but I noticed on another post that someone mentioned "white powder corrosion" and indicated that this starts fairly quickly with aluminum.  I have a flat black auto touch up pen that I have used on minor surface blemishes on the frame (it is an exact match!). Should I file down the "bur" spot a tiny bit more to allow sufficient tolerances to touch up the scratch or should I just leave it unfinished?

Also, is there any concern that this scratch, though fairly shallow could somehow weeken the frame?  I don't think so since  aluminum is fairly maleable but I would appreciate any input from the more knowledgeable folks on this site.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
LAA.  Can you still feel a bur to the touch?  If you can't feel it, I would leave it alone.  Lubricate it with Eezox or Ballistol and corrosion should not be a worry at all.  Use the touch up stick before lubing, of course, I know you know that.  Just my thoughts.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline LAA

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
I just happened to have jewelry burnishing tool sitting around so I ran it over the scratch a few times.  I then lightly ran a small carbide file over the former site of the bur a couple of times and then ran the burnisher over the bur spot to smooth it out.  After wiping an alcohol swab over the scratch and bur spot, I used the touch-up paint on the scratch and bur site.  

After reassembling the slide/frame, I racked the slide a couple of times to make sure the new layer of paint did not scratch off.  The amature fix seemed to work :)

Thanks to all for your input.