Author Topic: I Heart My Rohrbaugh  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
I Heart My Rohrbaugh
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:22 AM »
I picked up my R9s Stealth two weeks ago, but was not able to get to the range until today to give it a try.  

As with all new guns in 9mm, I started off with the cheap stuff.  I brought along 1 box of 50 Winchester White Box 115 grain FMJ to run through the gun and get the feel for the trigger.  I had 1 or more Failures to Extract with every magazine.  The empty would pull about half way out of the chamber and just hang.  Each failure was easily cleared by dropping the mag and manually extracting the empty case.  I did this with about 35 rounds and pulled the plug on this ammo.  Ginger has champagne taste and doesn't like the cheap stuff.  I can live with that.

I brought along 2 50 count LE boxes of 124 grain Gold Dots in standard pressure loading.  I ran through the first box and half way through the second box with no problems at all.  Not a burp, fart, giggle or anything unexpected.  I grabbed a box from two different ammo lots just to be sure 124 GDs would work ALL the time.  Both lots worked equally well as did both magazines.

Accuracy was really quite good at a measured 7 and 10 yards.  I had no problem holding all shots in a 5 1/2" bullseye at 7 yards or a 8" bullseye at 10 yards.  To be honest, most of the shots went into the lower left quadrant of the bullseye, which means I need some additional practice with the trigger system and grip.  The groups were actually quite small, which I think is a testament to the fit and finish of the gun and the reasonable sights provided on it.

I will say Ginger is a handfull.  Trigger finger slap was very evident, but not unexpected.  As a mouse gun addict, I've come to expect it and tolerate it as part of the trade-off you have to make for light weight and small size in a fighting caliber pistol.

I brought Ginger home and made sure she was squeeky clean and she's now fully reloaded and resting with her tried and true peers in the safe.  No doubt, she'll be spending some quality time in my pocket this week and will probably make the others jealous with the attention she will be getting from me in the future.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:25:26 PM by Ljutic »
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: I Heart My Rohrbaugh
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
Ljutic.  Thanks for the range report and glad Ginger likes the GD's LE.  Continue to enjoy the little wonder as practice does make things better.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »
Great report! Sounds like you've found a winner.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
Ginger likes Gold Dots, who would a thunk it?? :-X ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
Ginger likes Gold Dots, who would a thunk it?? :-X ::)

I don't name my guns, but R9 132 prefers "gold and silver" as well -- Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Silver Tips.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »
Yep!  The R9s of mine likes Silvertips 115 gr.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:50:46 AM »

I don't name my guns, but R9 132 prefers "gold and silver" as well -- Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Silver Tips.   ;)

I have only shot a few of the Golden Sabers, but liked them, I may get some in 40S&W to try in my Kahr.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »
That seems like an excellent idea, there, John.  The Kahr will probably like those.