Author Topic: Shot it today1  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Emjimb

Shot it today1
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:09:10 PM »
   Got to an indoor range and had only 20 minutes to spare-but I just had to shoot this new baby....
    First mag had the first 3 rounds of Mag safe(the epoxy hand made ,supposedly great self defense ammo)and -surprise -Jam jam jam -then on to 60 flawless ,but quickly shot winchester white box  ammo. I found with no sights at about 20 feet that I consistently was shooting low and left -however all still in the Zone.I have read that low is usually a sign of too much pull on the trigger and I suppose that i could have done that ? But,it was a sweet shooting little baby.I was surprised that the recoil wasn't as bad as I had anticipated (I now carry a S& W 340 w/357 mag.) so it was a piece of cake.I did keep looking for a comfortable shooting grip and as I ended the ession -was getting more comfortable.i also ran a few one hand (strong) in rapid sucession and found it surprisingly controllable . Stopped by this evening to the local gunsmith who said that some Gun Scrubber and two dots of oil was all she needed-he has worked on a few and he said that his first time was a bear -but now has the technique down (Good ) he also said that the gun is virtually perfect w/Speer gold dot .

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Shot it today
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:35:52 PM »
Glad you are enjoying the new pistol, Emjimb.  I've had excellent results with mine, except the recoil seems pretty brisk.

Hope you are missing the hurricanes.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: Shot it today1
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:42:27 PM »
Seems like you had a great time - let us know if your next time is as great.  Read the posts on lubing the R9 - only "two dots of oil" will probably mean accelerated wear.   Welcome aboard.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline itguy

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 12:01:42 PM »
I notice a few people routinely refer to the "Winchester white box".  Does that cover more than one type, ie JHP vs Ball vs "range" vs "personal protection", vs 115 gr. vs 125 gr. etc.  Do they all come in a white box?

Thanks.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Shot it today
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:21:18 PM »
itguy,

You can get it in various calibers.  I have bought .380 auto, 9mm, 45 auto, and .223 Remington, etc.

I remember getting JHP and also Ball.

The last time my .223 Remington was specifically marked 'Varmit'.

All my purchases have been from Walmart.

I don't remember much choice regarding bullet weight.

Having said all this stuff, I just remembered that we can go directly to the Winchester site and see what is available.

The Keyword is: USA, which is on the WWB.
  http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/handgunlist.aspx?bn=4

I suspect there is a way to use the Walmart web site to see all the choices.  If we get lucky, the sales person at the ammo counter might be able to look it up.

You could probably order any of the choices off the internet, from a vendor of your choice.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 12:27:01 PM by Michigunner »

Offline itguy

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 12:33:31 PM »
I should be more specific with my question.  In recalling that Karl has recommended Winchester 115 gr Silvertips, I was wondering if when any of the posters referred to "Winchester white box", they were actually referring specifically to this recommended ammo.

Thanks.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 12:42:20 PM »
No, sorry.

Silvertips are in the product line called Super-X, and perhaps Supreme.

They are not available in the WWB, which is marked 'USA'.

The less expensive choice for Silvertips would be Super-X.  When someone mentions Silvertips, they probably are thinking of Super-X.

Bill

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:14:13 PM by Michigunner »

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 01:21:47 PM »
Emjimb,
Before you shoot your new R9 again, please go to the R9 & R9S section of this forum and read the first couple of posts on lubrication!

These guns are VERY tightly fitted and running them almost dry will cause excessive wear very quickly.  I remember seeing a forum member's quote from one of the Rohrbaugh brothers that most of the warranty returns they've seen were due to shooting without lube.

The other day I ran into a gunsmith who had never heard of an R9 until I brought mine with me to buy some Speer GDHP ammo.  Within a couple of minutes, he was giving me advice on lubrication and the "best" ammunition to use.  He also told me he could become a Rohrbaugh dealer with a quick phone call.  
I took my R9, my little bag of ammo, thanked the nice man, and left - quickly.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »
The other day I ran into a gunsmith who had never heard of an R9 until I brought mine with me to buy some Speer GDHP ammo.  Within a couple of minutes, he was giving me advice on lubrication and the "best" ammunition to use.  He also told me he could become a Rohrbaugh dealer with a quick phone call.  
I took my R9, my little bag of ammo, thanked the nice man, and left - quickly.

It sounds like you were dealing with one of those "World's Leading Experts" -- legends in their own minds.  (Lord, save us from the type.   ::)  )
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 02:07:55 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 10:11:35 PM »
Richard S,
Yeah, that was my feeling as well.  I was courteous because this guy has the largest hands I've ever seen on a 5' 10" man.  He could barely squeeze his index finger into the trigger guard of my R9.  As I said,  I thanked the nice man - and left. ;)