Author Topic: New Kid With ? s  (Read 8372 times)

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
New Kid With ? s
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:19:59 PM »
Hello,   Just joined and read that I should post in order to not be considered a spammer.    

I'm thinking about getting a Rohrbaugh and just trying to do some due diligence.   I liked the feel of the Sig 380,  but a 9mm in the same size seems to make more sense.   Just not sure if I can justify the extra cash.  

Talk me in to it.       Right now I have a Ruger sp101 357 but because of the size and weight I find it left behind a lot.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:21:39 PM by skorpyd »
It will be found an unjust and unwise jealously to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition that he may abuse it.
George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: New Kid With ? s
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
 skorpyd, first Welcome to the group.
If you purchase an R9 and shoot it you will have no regrets about the price difference.
The few extra dollars for the smallest, lightest 9mm on the market is a small price to pay for the top quality workmanship and customer support you will receive with a Rohrbaugh.
  The 9mm is a much better choice for SD than the 380 and 9mm ammo is less expensive and easier to come by than 380.

John
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:46:29 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »
Hello,   Just joined and read that I should post in order to not be considered a spammer.    

I'm thinking about getting a Rohrbaugh and just trying to do some due diligence.   I liked the feel of the Sig 380,  but a 9mm in the same size seems to make more sense.   Just not sure if I can justify the extra cash.  

Talk me in to it.       Right now I have a Ruger sp101 357 but because of the size and weight I find it left behind a lot.

skorpyd.  Welcome to the Forum.  What John said and a little more.  I bought mine nearly two years ago, sight unseen. and have been pleased from day one.  

A word of caution.  Some of us after one, have to have two, and could go on.  Right now I'm at two and would have had three, but the Robar was discontinued

Again welcome, and find that Rohrbaugh.    
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:35:57 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »
Thanks,   I think I'm pretty much sold.    I held one today at a gun show and it was very nice.    My main concern is to feel confident of reliability.    

Then how do I know if I'm getting a fair price.    I like to buy quality when I can, but also find that quality as cheap as I can.
Are these buy them if you can find them guns or can you find some deals.
It will be found an unjust and unwise jealously to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition that he may abuse it.
George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Check out GunBroker.  There's some deals there every now and then.  If you want a new one check with Tom Watson of the Irish Guard here on the Forum.  He's be glad to help.  Send him a PM.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks kj,  I saw the one on Gunbroker mentioned in the for sale thread.   Buy it now for 900 with about 150 rounds through it.   Would you consider that a deal?    Or would one consider a new one for the difference?
George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
It just depends on what you want.  When I got mine, I wanted a new one.  So really, it's is just a personal thing.  Now I have the 27th one made (#127) and a brand new old one, but still old.

If you want the latest in improvements and all, the new one is the way to go for carry purposes and that's just me.  You will be proud of a new one as well as an old one.  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:17:35 PM by kjtrains »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »

Buy a new one, keep it simple.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
I think I said that!    ;D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
skorpyd,
   The one for sale on GunBroker for $900 would be a pretty good deal.  150 rounds is nothing, most don't consider a gun broke in or reliable until they have at least that many rounds through it.
  My first pup was a new one ordered through a local shop, I have had a couple of other used ones I bought and sold. I now have a used one I am going to have some custom work done on.
  New or used doesn't make much difference I don't think there are many beat up or abused R9s out there. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
skorpyd.  John makes a good point.  Decide what you want, new or used, and wishing you the best in your decision.    :)

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
Thanks guy's,  I think I will try to contact the dealer this week that had the one at the show, to see what his bottom line is and go from there.    If he will come down a bit I would probably go with the new one.     I thank you for the suggestions.
George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Great.  Hope everything goes well.

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum skorpyd; you're considering some fine firearms. I have both the P238 and now an R9s.

The P238 is a fine weapon and I enjoy mine a lot. It's very comfortable to shoot and very accurate. Mine is one of 4 pistols I own that has been totally reliable.

The pup is another gun which I consider totally reliable (I have forgiven it for the FTE when my son limp-wristed it) and is about the same size as the P238. The pup "carries" better though - being well smoothed and "melted" it's easier to draw because there's nothing to catch. And - it gives you a 9mm capability instead of a 380.

I will always keep my P238 but it has been relegated to a fun-to-shoot range gun now that I own the R9 - when it comes to something that my life could depend on I'll trust the pup over any other pocket pistol - firepower is a big part of that trust, but reliability and easy of deployment are other important parts of that equation. I could have bought TWO R9s for what I've spent on pocket pistols looking for something reliable and accurate. I wish I could have seen this earlier as I would have two of them now.

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
Thanks JR,   nice to hear from someone that has both guns I'm considering.     That settles it I'm going with the r9s.   I guess if I can spend 500 on a Busse knife, and the extra for an I-MAC,  I can go for the Rohrbaugh.    I just wanted to feel fairly confident I was indeed getting something for the extra $ and not just hype.
George Washington