Author Topic: VJ 60th anniversary  (Read 3725 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
VJ 60th anniversary
« on: August 15, 2005, 07:05:59 PM »
Did anyone notice the 60th anniversary of VJ day? I saw a great special on the history channel about it. What the great generation did for all of us is amazing!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
Re: VJ 60th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 07:28:04 PM »
Fortunately, the State of Rhode Island still observes VJ Day.

The History Channel did a nice job.

Bill  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 08:02:06 PM »
On my last visit to the Antietam Battlefield, I was reading an historical marker on the action which occurred in the West Woods as seen from the north. It was in this wooded area that the Union attack of Sedwick's Division was checked and repulsed with over 2,000 casualties between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. by the combined Confederate forces of Early, Walker and McLaws, on September 17, 1862 -- more than 2,000 casualties in 30 minutes.  As I was reading the marker, I became aware of an elderly gentleman who had come up beside me on my left.  As much to myself as to him, I remarked, "What a consummate waste of men that was!"  

The elderly gentleman stood there silently for a moment, and then responded in a quiet, solemn voice, "Yes.  It took the Japanese four days to take that many of us Marines at Tarawa."  

I turned and looked at the elderly gentleman for the first time.  When I noticed the decoration in his lapel, I came to attention involuntarily and rendered my best Army salute.  He smiled, casually returned my salute, and slowly walked away.

God bless them!  They were indeed the "Greatest Generation."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 09:23:23 PM »
I was reminded by our kitchen calendar - it is not marked in PA but knowing the day exactly, enabled me to indulge in my own short moment of silence.

Nice anecdote Richard :)

"Lest we forget"
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 09:54:19 AM »
If anyone gets to New Orleans, there is a super D Day Museum off the down town area. It covers all the D Days. You also will see some vets there. You can get goose bumps.
Tom

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »
Yesterday and evening on the history channel there were 3 programs on the D Days of the pacific, as well as, the X Day(going ashore on Japan's home islands).  Good stuff.  Makes one wonder why we don't get it today. Well if some of our leaders don't care???  What do you think, Chuckie, Teddy, Diane, Hillery &etc.?

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 12:47:24 PM »
I saw those History Channel programs too. The fanaticsm and cruelty of the Japanese was beyond belief to those of us who weren't there.
And the Libs cry crocodile tears over the "horrible abuse" of prisoners at Gitmo and Abu Garib (sp??).  
Maybe that's why VJ Day is mostly forgotten.  It makes us remember things the American polical left wants us to forget.

I don't mean to get into politics or religion - a sure way to cause fights - but someone a lot smarter than I am said that those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
To me, there are two lessons:
1. Fanatics are defeated only by a 100% effort - no holding back.
2. The Judeo-Christian morals we treasure in this country are a major advance for humanity and the reason we value the sancity of life.  Compared to many of the other religions, at least.  (We did have to get past the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition to get here, though.)    ;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 06:07:16 PM »
Tom:

Thanks for the reminder on the D-Day museum in New Orleans.  I expect to take my wife to the "Big Easy" for a conference next month and will make it a point to visit the museum.  As I recall, Stephen E. Ambrose was involved in its organization and development.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 07:41:29 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 06:44:27 PM »
Richard S, Yes Stephen was a hugh reason why the musuem is so good.
Be real careful in the big easy,even in the garden district. Keep the pup handy.  Just keep a watchful eye on everything.   Tom