Author Topic: Rohrbaugh Robar  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Rohrbaugh Robar
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »
I was able to get some range time today.

2 mags of Speer 115 grain GDs.
2 mags of Remington UMC 115 grain
2 mags of Fiocci 115 grain

I normally do not shoot any other ammo then Speer 115 GDs through my R9's. I thought I would give it a try.

All went well! No malfunctions.
I gave my PUP a good cleaning and now back to the pocket.  :)

This has been the smoothest operating PUP I have owned.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:17:35 AM by Z »

Offline Robar233

• Master
Re: Rohrbaugh Robar
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
 Z,

I am overdue to shoot my Robar, but I did clean it this week! I have to say I love the NP3 finish. It cleans up and holds up great. I am still using Eezox but have every other product under the sun too. I have just stuck with the Eezox based on recommendations here.

What are you using for cleaning/lubrication? I am tempted to try the Frog Lube I bought however heating the gun sounds like a bit of a P I A.

Robar233

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »
Heating is easy with a hair dryer, although I have also done it at ~ 100 degrees in the oven, sans grips of course, with no problem. The other thing is just swabbing the barrel prior to shooting a few rounds to heat it up.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:21:43 PM by tracker »

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
Z,

I am overdue to shoot my Robar, but I did clean it this week! I have to say I love the NP3 finish. It cleans up and holds up great. I am still using Eezox but have every other product under the sun too. I have just stuck with the Eezox based on recommendations here.

What are you using for cleaning/lubrication? I am tempted to try the Frog Lube I bought however heating the gun sounds like a bit of a P I A.

Robar233

I use Wilson Combat Ultima Lube. It works well for me. I wipe the exterior with a silicone gun cloth.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
Another lube that you can use on the pistol is Krytox. 

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/products/Products_Greases.html

Super lubricity.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Question about NP3
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
On new R9s the rails show wear when it's first fired.

Does the Robar model have wear of the the NP3 coating on the rails where the R9 usually shows wear?

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
Count
Here is a pic of my Robar. Total round count around 200-250.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
Another lube that you can use on the pistol is Krytox. 

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/products/Products_Greases.html

Super lubricity.

I did not spend a WHOle lot of time searching - but $48.75 for a 2 oz tube of Locktite brand of lube from Motion Industries is a bit out of my price range. :P
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
I forgot about this thread...

Thanks for the pics, it looks like there isn't significant rail wear when NP3 is used.  I'd probably get NP3+ done and only after the rails had gone through their normal wear process anyway, but it's cool to see that NP3 holds up well in that area of the gun.

Ya - Krytox is expensive.  It's probably more expensive to use as a gun lube than other applications that it's normally used for because most people clean a gun after going to the range and I have a feeling that Krytox is normally in use for months of continuous use in it's most common applications, but hey this is a Rohrbaugh R9 we're talking about, doesn't the R9 deserve the best ?   ;D

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
CountZero,

I don't have an R9 Robar, but I do have the Robar NP3+ finish on my H&K P7, and I can tell you it's extremely tough and wear-resistant, not to mention it's very slick, so it's easy to wipe surfaces clean with little effort.  I've had the finish for a year now, and so far, repeated insertion and drawing from my holster has produced negligible holster wear; only a slight polishing of the NP3+ surface on the upper edge of the left side slide flat.  There is very little wear on the slide and frame tracks as well, after about 1000 rounds fired.  The visible "wear" isn't through the finish; it's only surface polishing.  NP3+ also has self-lubricating properties, so less lubrication is required between mating parts.  As a bonus, I think the soft silver-gray appearance looks good too.

The only disadvantage to NP3+ is is pretty expensive compared to other finishes, but I think it's worth it, and I highly recommend it.
Ted