Author Topic: What is the white stuff under the grips screws?  (Read 7018 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: What is the white stuff under the grips screws
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »
Brendon, Everytime you shoot your weapon the screws work themselves loose. I was just snugging them down after each cleaning and they were loose. I decided to take them off once before and there wasn't any problems. This time I took them off and I heard ting as soon as I started unscrewing the top screw. It was dirty inside the housing believe it or not. I cleaned it up and put it together and it works fine. I will probably pull them off with each cleaning. The spring assembly is easy to reinstall. You just need to be patient when screwing the screws.

This was the original "problem"-was the screws coming loose upon shooting,and then guys having a problem with the trigger assembly,as the grip secures this..
I have taken the grips off of one of my other pups,just to see what the innards looked like,I was satisfied,and have not done so again..
I personally have never had a grip screw come loose,on any that I have shot-including my pocket carry Deer Parker!!
Of course I have not had a problem with anything else either,So I feel good about it..

I am still using the "old" recoil springs-and do not change as often as I "should" probably  :o but have had no feeding problems..

I have multiple mags,all "old" springs,yet no feeding problems..

Paint me "lucky"??

IMO,if it is working,I am not messin with it..

I shot what I thought was enough to break the pup in,shoot a couple of mags every once in awhile,the 115 GDHPs seem to hit the center of what I am aiming at,I am happy.. ;D

It's whatever makes someone comfortable with what they carry IMO..

I am at the shoot a little,carry a lot stage with the Pup..

I am at the same stage with my Seecamp .380 at this point..

Have fun with the pup,make her bark on America's Birthday!! 8)

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »
Brenden  -  I'm with ya, if it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Carry on,

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »
Well, mine came w. loctite on the screws -- I ordered the proper grade of loctite from an industrial supplier -- I think it was 2240 -- the Bros. R will tell you.  Or, it's on here somewhere.

Once I got them off the initial time -- the grade of loctite that was on them was not the same as the grade they called for -- and replaced them w. the proper spec'd loctite, they haven't come loose, but are easy to remove.  

With that said, I used the best Craftsman allen wrench I could buy, and put a permanent twist in it, removing them the first time, but I didn't strip anything.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline lgreenman

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »
Geez...a thousand dollar gun with a tendency toward corrosion?? Can't they correct that?

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 01:17:27 PM »
Now lets not jump out there with that problem.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
I've been carrying my R9 for three years and four months. (It's in my pocket as I write this post.) I've seen no corrosion of any kind on it. Of course, it has received a lot of TLC -- but then all of my guns receive a lot of TLC. I guess I'm just one of those strange people who consider cleaning guns to be a form of recreation.   :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 05:53:56 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 11:50:17 AM »
I was on my way to work today but the voices in my head said Go Home and Clean the Guns!!  I don't see any sign of corrosion on my R-9.  Dan
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 11:54:06 AM by DTM_39 »
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 12:24:15 PM »
Dan:

Yep, I'm always hearing those same voices.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"