Author Topic: What does the "s" stand for and another  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
What does the "s" stand for and another
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »
Here's a very silly question: what does the "s" stand for in a R-9s.  I'm a senior, could it be for me....???  The Rohrbaugh website lists the R-9 and the R-9s together and lists the calibers as 9mm and 380.  Could the "s" model be the 380?  If so, why not R-380??

The website suggests the coating on a stealth makes the slide smoother?  Does anyone have any experience to confirm this?

Tomorrow morning I place my order!!!

Regards
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline RickP

• Expert
Re: What does the "s" stand for and anot
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:27:17 PM »
Welcome to the neighborhood!

The "s" stands for "sights" as the original R9 didn't have any. Not sure if the non-sighted model is still available.

Hope you enjoy your R9s as much as I enjoy mine.

Rick

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »
Aha!  Of course it does.  From the pictures, those of pretty "wimpy" sights...  Do they put them there just so shooters can say they have sights?  Personally, I think having it stand for "senior" would make more sense...

Thanks... and I DO hope it's OK to inject a bit of sarcasm in this forum..
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
Aha!  * * * Thanks... and I DO hope it's OK to inject a bit of sarcasm in this forum..

Sarcasm? Just wait. You haven't been around here during the leadup to the annual Army-Navy Game.    :D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
I'm glad to hear that!

Back to my other question: Does the extra finishing provided in the stealth actually provide a performance improvement?  What about the elite?

My bank account is going to feel like it's experiencing the "death of a thousand cuts" but, as I said before, I only buy a few guns and I lean toward paying for quality.

Thanks again

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
My bank account is going to feel like it's experiencing the "death of a thousand cuts" but, as I said before, I only buy a few guns and I lean toward paying for quality.

I think you share the view of many of the members here.  I prefer to buy quality the first time which can end up being cheaper in the end when compared to buying items of poorer quality, then realizing this, then in the end buying what was thought to be an expensive item.  With most things, you get what you pay for.  Definately there are overpriced items out there but a little research on the net and this becomes evident fairly quickly.

Good day.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »
Thanks, Jack.  There is no doubt that the R9 is quality and worth the relatively high cost.  The question is, "does the incremental cost of the Stealth add performance or just looks?"

And going to the next level, does the Elite then add another $200 worth of performance?  It clearly adds a lot of "Wow" but does the extra hand-work improve smoothness, etc.?

Thanks again.

Offline andyzx6r

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
Chinok,

I don't think that the Steath or the Elite are going to shoot bullets any better because of the finish.  It is clearly cosmetic and looks damn good IMO.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
Are you sure?  Perhaps not so much "shoot bullets better" as to have a smoother action?  There are some pictures in a different thread that shows the inside of an elite.  Everything looks soooo polished.  I'd like to see a similar picture of the inside of a basic two-tone to compare...

Thanks again.

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 01:22:25 PM »
Are you sure?  Perhaps not so much "shoot bullets better" as to have a smoother action?  There are some pictures in a different thread that shows the inside of an elite.  Everything looks soooo polished.  I'd like to see a similar picture of the inside of a basic two-tone to compare...

Thanks again.

I many a few inquiries about the Elite and really didn't get much solid info.

Do you have a link to the Elite internals?  I'd love to see them. That might help me decide if I need to get an Elite also.

Thanks

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 01:47:37 PM »
There's some pictures of the internals of a Stealth in the first reply to:
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1186711949

I just spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Tom Watson at Irish Guard in Dallas.  Tom was of the impression the the mods to the Elite are cosmetic only; that maybe some added smoothing might improve the action slightly but he had not had anyone tell him so.

I am trying to decide between the Stealth and the Elite.  The Stealth is pretty much a no-brainer for me as I like bluing on Stainless.  And it's only an extra $49.  The Elite is another $200 which, while I really like the looks, may be more than my Scottish nature (sans improved performance) can endure...

I wish Rohrbaugh would tell us something about improved smoothness...!!!

Let me know what you decide.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 01:51:09 PM »
Opps, the reference I just gave IS for an Elite.  The lighting on the slide is not good so it looked like a Stealth.

What we need is pictures of the inside of a Stealth to compare!

Anyone???

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »
OK, I just had a long talk with Maria at Rohrbaugh.  Maria says that all the differences in their gun models are cosmetic.  Note also that at least 2 of the pictures in the link given above are for an elite premium.  In the premium, all parts are jewel polished, etc.  Lots of hand work.

But... the differences between the Stealth and the Elite are only in the looks (if you like it, you pay for it!).  Same is for the basic 2-tone.

Does this agree with everyone else's opinions???

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
Chinook, Welcome to the Forum.  All the R-9s are hand fitted and smooth as silk.  I think you will be happy no matter which one you choose. Good Luck on your purchase and I look forward to a Range Report.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:49 PM »
What Dan said!   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"