Author Topic: What is the recoil spring replacement round count?  (Read 3981 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
What is the recoil spring replacement round count?
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:35:37 AM »
My search fu doesn't seem to be working - I'm getting a lot of threads return on the search when I try to search for recoil spring replacement count.

I though tit was 1000 rounds but I don't know for sure.

Someone on another forum said 150 and I know that's not right.

Maybe in the very very beginning there were frequent changes like that but I'm sure people aren't replacing their springs every 150 rounds.

As Ricky Ricardo would say "Das ree-dikoolas!"
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:51:46 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: What is the recoil spring replacement round co
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
Rohrbaugh recommends changing at 200 rounds fired.

Offline Carter

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »
Rohrbaugh recommends changing at 200 rounds fired.

Don't have the paperwork with me here, but I could have sworn it was every 400 rounds.
Has something changed?... or did I read wrong?

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
Factory recommendation has changed over the years with better springs being made.  It did seem to jump around a bit.  When others were hearing 200 I ordered some replacements and got a note from the factory saying to change every 250 rounds.  Still have that note, still not sure what the deal is.  I know I have tested a run of 500 rounds through mine without a change and it still worked fine when I did change it at 500 +.   I have read of others that have gotten 700+ on one spring while even others say theirs have failed at less than 200.  I'm not convinced there is a real # to go by but I do know that they are cheap enough that I would not surpass 200 rounds on a spring that I was using on a carry R9.

Offline eye_spy

• mcgrathinvestig ativeservices.c om
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
It used to be 100  now it is 200 as wolf gets better and better.  400 has never been the recomendation that I know of.

It is not a matter of failure, but more that it could crack the frame if you neglect the spring.  5 dollar spring or 1200 dollar gun.

Change often.  

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
It used to be 100  now it is 200 as wolf gets better and better.  400 has never been the recomendation that I know of.

It is not a matter of failure, but more that it could crack the frame if you neglect the spring.  5 dollar spring or 1200 dollar gun.

Change often.  

+1, especially if this is your carry weapon.  Shoot often enough to maintain competence.  Change springs often enough to maintain confidence.  You cannot afford to be wrong.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »
Maybe it pays to have a carry spring and a range spring.

You change your range spring out every 250rds

You always have a fresh spring when you're carrying...

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
If the guy who designed the thing, builds it, and tested his design for several years to refine it before bringing it to production says to change the spring every 200 rounds to keep the gun running right and spare battering of the frame, change the damn spring.  Period.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »
I don't change my oil every 3,000 miles either.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Do brand new Rohrbaugh springs work great OOB or do they require some breaking in like the PM9 springs (Kahr recomends cycling the slide 200 time or something?)

I could be wrong about the Kahr - Ive heard that second hand, I don't own a Kahr.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »

They work well oob; haven't heard of a spring break-in requirement. IMO, I don't wish to buy a gun that has a recommended "break-in" minimum round requirement for it to function reliably. It makes perfectly good sense, however, to run 50-100 rounds or so through a defensive weapon for confidence purposes.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
I own three Kahr's, P40, PM9, and a P380.  The manual says to allow a 200 round break-in period.  All mine are 100% reliable right out of the box.

I really think that this is a lawyer add-on for liability reasons or for the guys who try to shoot gun show reloads and want to send their guns back for repair when they do not function.  

Just my opinion.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »

That may be but most gun manufacturers don't make note of it in their manual.