Author Topic: SOLD ( To a Forum member ): Rohrbaugh R9S Coyote Brown/Hyena Brown  (Read 4210 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
This Rohrbaugh R9S Coyote Brown/Hyena Brown is a rare combination. It comes complete with the case, manual, extra springs, & literature. I had my gunsmith check it out, clean & lube it, and has a thumbs up from him. It is a beautiful gun that has a very different color scheme. The exterior is like new...not a scratch on it. Price: $1299.00/offers?, plus shipping. Any questions, please ask. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:09:43 AM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: WTS: Rohrbaugh R9S Coyote Brown/Hyena Brown
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »
Now those were fun. Each one had to be hand lapped with lapping compound to get the slide to fit the rails due to the Ceracoat process. These firearms had very smooth slide / frame actions because of that. We also hand lapped the main spring hole to get the plunger to also run very smooth. We did not make many of those I can tell you that! Those are very rare today, especially in that condition!  Good Luck with the sale.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
Now those were fun. Each one had to be hand lapped with lapping compound to get the slide to fit the rails due to the Ceracoat process. These firearms had very smooth slide / frame actions because of that. We also hand lapped the main spring hole to get the plunger to also run very smooth. We did not make many of those I can tell you that! Those are very rare today, especially in that condition!  Good Luck with the sale.

Thanks Eric! Any idea how many you made?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:18:58 PM »
Gosh. . . . . . If I have to guess. . . . maybe somewhere around 15 to 20 or so. It was so labor intensive, we gave up on them. Also because it was tough for them to nail the color on the slide versus the frame. . . . they were tough to get the shades similar on the two different metals, go figure. It was not worth the trouble anymore, so we stopped making them and went back to the money makers: The Standard and The Stealth models and just kept making them as long as we had the parts to build guns.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:34:24 PM »
Email sent

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: SOLD ( To a Forum member ): Rohrbaugh R9S Coyote Brown/Hyena Brown
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »
That was a cool pistol IMHO.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
I wonder if the rarity of it helped the sale. . . . . .  ::)

. . . . . I think so.   8)

Such a neat gun that was. . . . . . . . but too tough to make the same look consistently over and over, hence, we abandoned the model.

A rare model R9 ? . . . . . . It sure is!  Congrats to the new owner. 

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:07 PM »
E,
Was that the only Ceracoat model?  The "Custom"  in the pics thread has a greenish tint, but it doesn't look like Ceracoat in the pics, more like a metallic green. 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
Yes, the Coyote was the only Ceracoat model we ever built. Besides the difficulty of matching the slide and frame color, we found the coating was too thick to use on our R9 due to the already tight tolerances on it. We phased out the Coyote almost immediately after showing it at the S.H.O.T. Show in Las Vegas, NV, which is why they are among the rarest of R9 factory models, which include the R9 Stealth Elite Premium, of which there were only 16 ever built. The serial numbers on the Premium models were different also. Rather than the usual run "R1234", the Premium serial numbers ran as follows:  1 of 16, 2 of 16, 3 of 16, etc. In reference to the "Custom", which had a greenish hue to the slide, that was something I called a Custom due to that feature. We were trying different approaches to colors during a time and that was one which, a supplier we were using for the Stealth's blackened slides, showed us. I decided to make that R9, there were maybe 6 or 7 of those, and sold them as such. . . . . Explaining to the shop owner who purchased them there are just a few of those and that we really will not be making that model. They were "test pieces", if you will. Fun R9 none the less. . . . and yes, also a rare bird in the field of Rohrbaugh designs as the Custom was never a real model, but just that, a Custom put together by me at the shop one day.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:20:05 AM by ECR »