Author Topic: New shooters and R9s  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
New shooters and R9s
« on: December 19, 2005, 03:55:22 AM »
I introduced several gfs/wives of some friends to pistols this weekend -- they saw the pup, when I was teaching the guys, and insisted on shooting the "cute" gun -- for two of them, it was their first pistol ever.  Both jammed it when they chambered it, because they let the slide down rather than letting it release, other than that, it, as always, performed flawlessly.  I was really impressed that they were able to shoot it, but it did hurt their hands -- the J frame, as predicted, worked the best for them.  If anyone has a problem w. someone closing their eyes when they pull the trigger, mixing some snap caps in with live ammo cures them pretty fast, and helps them pay attention to keeping their trigger pull straight.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: New shooters and R9s
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:48:10 PM »
Brad - R9 always generates interest! :)

True enough - chambering is best as a ''slingshot'' technique - in fact I'd say all semi's deserve the exact same.

Most folks who have shot mine comment on, well, not hurt as such but - ''less than comfortable''.  of course practice makes this diminish quite a bit - but then too - this is not a ''recreational'' gun.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 10:17:18 AM »
I let a new shooter friend of mine shoot my R9 a few months ago.  He put two rounds down range (no problems) but then put the gun down and said it's not for him.  Too much pain he said.  I really don't think the recoil is too bad.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:39:26 AM by jarcher »

Offline ketap

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 10:38:08 AM »
Pain or Paid   lol

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:39:51 AM »
Pain or Paid   lol

Oops...  I guess it's too early!  Okay, fixed, although I guess either works!