Author Topic: My first time  (Read 1227 times)

Offline robertd

My first time
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »
I picked up my R9S at my dealer this P.M. I bought it from a gent in Utah who described it as NIB. I can't say it had ever been shot till a few minutes ago. It is serial number R9xx and has Deer Park NY or NH on the slide opposite the S#. I field stripped and lubed slide to frame juncture. The reassembly needs a lot of work. Have a heck of a blood blister on the web between my thumb and index finger on my left hand. But I got it back together. I ordered some new springs earlier but just had to try it. I loaded two rounds of Speer 115 GDHP and headed to the thicket behind my place. I unloaded into a clay root (on my own land with no neighbors). It worked as it should. It's a little starchy but no more so than my Glock 27. I see some real promise. I'll install a new spring in a day or two. Now I'm going to read some more about reassembly and maybe order a tool. The gun arrived with a Raven Tactical Products pocket holster. Was there a time when that came with the gun?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: My first time
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
robertd:

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your R9! As for the Raven holster, that had to have been selected by the former owner.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:06:39 PM »
robertd, I read this somewhere on the forum a long time ago.  It works like a charm and there are no tools needed except a punch to push the barrel pin out.  When reassembling hold the slide upside down (I iuse my left hand)  With right hand take recoil assembly and line up guidrod with front of slide.  Push guiderod through hole in front of slide.  Put barrel in place and slowly let guide rod out. Good Luck  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline robertd

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Dan, I like the sound of that. I'll try it when I get my new style springs in.