Author Topic: Why should I get an R-9 or R-9s  (Read 4069 times)

Offline dougk

Why should I get an R-9 or R-9s
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:10:06 PM »
I am seriously considering the R-9 or R-9s for every day pocket carry.  I am asking the following question for clarity of the users in this forum since you are all owners.

In researching the Rohrbaugh I have seen some negative comments about difficultly in reassembly after cleaning and FTE.  Are these comments valid?

Thanks for entertaining the questions from a new guy.

Doug

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
Re: Why should I get an R-9 or R-9s
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:27:49 PM »
If you have three hands its no problem...otherwise it can be "challenging to some". Being your new, do some research here to find plenty of info on the subject and welcome to the board.

In addition, while reading threads to find your answers you will also learn a lot of other important issues.

;)
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »
dougk:

First of all, welcome to the Forum!

Second, I endorse Enigma's comments. With a little practice and patience, the field-stripping/reassembly process becomes no problem.

Third, in my opinion, you should get a Rohrbaugh 9mm pistol because it is quite simply the finest pocket pistol yet designed and produced.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:07:14 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
dougk.  Welcome to the Forum from me as well and I would like to second the comments of Enigma and Richard.   I also think you should get the Rohrbaugh R9 9mm as it is indeed a work of art.  Read through the threads of this Forum and learn a wealth of information.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline musicman

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 05:45:02 PM »
welcome...

Takeing down the R9 is very simple.  Not even sure why people make a fus...

As for reasons why:

1- This thing is cool as hell...
2- It is a work of art
3- Smallest and lightest weight 9mm in existence.
4- Its cool as hell...
5- Mine is 100% reliable, went bang every time from the first

The people who talk rubbish about this gun do so, cause they are jealous...

Its a joy to own this gun...

Every couple three weeks, ill shoot 2 or 3 mags... (beginning with the round and mag thats in the chamber) just to make sure it remains flawless...and of course it always does.

You will love this gun.  Just choose the rounds wisely...theres plenty of options which the R9 likes... and you will be good to go

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
FTF/FTE isn't a problem if you stick with ammo recommended on this forum, and you hold the firearm tight (avoid limp wristing).

Reassembly appears to present people with varying difficulty.  Some have a tough time even with tools, others manage it without any tools at all.  YMMV as they say.

I posted my own tool-less method in a different thread.  I need to make a video of doing it someday.  

The pin removal/installation is a snap following the method listed in the manual. (hold upside-down in left hand, press slide with right hand until lined up, tighten/loosen grip of left hand to adjust alignment while inserting/extracting pin with right hand.

The recoil mechanism is a bit tricky, but I can manage it on the first try anymore.  As I said, details posted in a prior thread.

Offline IOM

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »
I did a lot of searching on this forum and found threads like this one http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1165943631;start=
that really helped me get a better understanding of cleaning the R9.  From the above link I only use tools 2-5.  2 is easy to make and I was lucky that my used R9 came with the RJ tool.  However this can also be made out of a tooth brush handle.  
This site also helped out a great deal http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/index.htm
Specifically under the FAQ Index / Multimedia.  The videos of taking down the R9 answered all my questions and concerns about maintenance of this little gem.

Regarding failures, I've not had any.  My R9's were both used, and the first thing I did was replace the recoil and magazine springs in both.  I also only use Speer Gold Dot 124 grain round and have not had the desire to try any other brand.  So far no problems.  For the R9 I only shoot what I intend to carry.  
Hope this helps, and this is jmho  :)
David

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
The takedown instructions are only missing one really important step:  6.5 - Be sure meat of left index finger is not in the ejection port.  :o

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »
Doug, welcome to the forum.
   Owning one of the pups is not for everyone, if you are looking for a range gun to run a few hundred rounds a week through, get a Glock. If you want a fine looking, well designed, light and powerful pocket pistol, then you are looking for the Rohrbaugh.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline dougk

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:32:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  You all have confirmed my initial hypothesis.

I am getting a Rohrbaugh and using it for the application for which it was designed.

Again thanks,
Doug

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »
Good to hear, I hope you enjoy it!

Here is the post I made about how I reinstall the recoil assembly without tools:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1253407087;start=10#10

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »
The takedown instructions are only missing one really important step:  6.5 - Be sure meat of left index finger is not in the ejection port.  :o

;D  That reminds me of "M1 thumb," an affliction which could occur when a soldier unfamiliar with the mechanics of the M1 Garand rifle failed to remove his thumb quickly enough from the ammo stripper clip as he was loading the piece. When the bolt unlocked, it could smash his thumb against the front of the ejection port. It usually took only one time for a man to learn that lesson. [Don't ask me how I know. ;)]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:56:04 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dougk

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the wealth of information and links  ;D

Doug

Offline dougk

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »
Thanks for the wealth of information and links  ;D

Doug

Offline r9newbie

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 10:16:21 PM »
> In researching the Rohrbaugh I have seen some negative comments about difficultly in reassembly after cleaning and FTE.  Are these comments valid?

Stripping and reassembly isn't as easy as on a SIG, but it's okay.  For takedown, you need a punch (I use the end of a small allen wrench) to pop out a pin -- doesn't take much pressure at all.  For reassembly, only tricky part is compressing the guide rod assembly.  A set of pliers works.

That's it.

Wish this thing was "tool-less" takedown and reassembly, but as the gun is meant to "carry lots, shoot little," it's not like you'll probably be doing this all the time.  I was skeptical but found that in reality it's not a big deal.

FTE/FTF, I have no experience there -- all 20 or so rounds that I've shot with mine went off with zero problems.  Hope to get back to the range sometime to do more.

It's an impressive, solid, high quality piece.  Better than I expected.  I almost canceled my order, but then the gun came in sooner than expected, and I'm glad I didn't cancel.  I love this thing.

Use good ammo - it's picky, they say.  Speer GDHP, or I've even had good results with Winchester "white box" 115 gr. JHP.