Author Topic: What happened to the GOOD LOOKING guns?  (Read 5389 times)

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
What happened to the GOOD LOOKING guns?
« on: December 16, 2017, 07:09:52 PM »
 New handguns ALL LOOK LIKE SQUARE BOXES. Looks like the days of BEAUTIFUL handgun are over. We will never see another Rohrbaugh, unless Eric and Rick are up too something new. Besides the R9's we have the Remington PA 51, Colt 1903, Broomhandle, PPK, Luger, Colt Python, and TPH are long gone. Now EVERYTHING looks the same: two trigger, striker fired, plastic frame and square slides.

I know I missed some pre war Mausers and a few others but do you also think this that the days of form following function are over. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

kevinqjhps
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:45:04 PM by kevinqjhps »
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: What happened to the GOOD LOOKING guns?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
I don't know Kevin, but the BRNO Field Pistol that recently debuted looks pretty good to me.

https://www.fkbrno.com/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
Beautiful pistol, indeed. The proprietary 7.5 FK round is probably very expensive but if you have to ask you probably can't afford it. 2,000 fps is very impressive, however. More importantly, an estimated MSRP of $7500.00 for the pistol will stop a lot of tire kickers in their tracks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:49:26 AM by tracker »

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »
p.s. Single action army and I think the High Power fits the group well.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
The BHP was my first thought when I read your OP.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 11:21:52 PM »
Another pistol I think of as pretty elegant is the SIG P-210, and it is back in production.

Herself has a brightly polished stainless steel CZ-75, not your typical run of the mill gun.  Great lines and the mirror finish is strongly contrasted by the black grips.  And she can shoot the hell out of it.

I've got a factory compensated Beretta 92FS, factory wood grips and target sights.  I really like its look.  Hard to find those kits these days, got mine from a Beretta Gallery.

Have had some brief experience with some of the 1911 designs coming out of Cabot, the fit and finish is top shelf.

Regarding the 1911s, I like the trend toward a high gloss finish on a longslide.  Looked at a 6 inch 10mm that was anything but typical.  Also got to fondle  a Clark custom 1911 a few weeks ago that had a special dehorning job, a black chrome finish and mammoth ivory grips.  The entire pistol reminded me of a used bar of soap.  Not a sharp edge to be found, just sexy curves.  Felt unbelievable in the hands.

If you liked the Colt Python (of which I am a big fan) check out the Korth, I think they can hang with any snake revolver the gentlemen from Hartford ever produced.

/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:05:16 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
There is no shortage of beautiful pistols but most mentioned here are very expensive. This subject is similar to vehicles: do you want something that drives you from A to B or do you need a Ferrari? This forum has a few collectors of specimen R9s that have collector value. I bought the R9 for defensive carry and nothing else. There are many guns I own like the Python, 70 Series Gold Cup, and the BHP among others for their form and function. Except for a few pistols like the snake guns and some others, purchasing pistols for appreciation and profit would be money better spent elsewhere.

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:36:12 AM »
If the firearm saves me, then it is the most beautiful gun ever.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
There is no shortage of beautiful pistols but most mentioned here are very expensive. This subject is similar to vehicles: do you want something that drives you from A to B or do you need a Ferrari? This forum has a few collectors of specimen R9s that have collector value. I bought the R9 for defensive carry and nothing else. There are many guns I own like the Python, 70 Series Gold Cup, and the BHP among others for their form and function. Except for a few pistols like the snake guns and some others, purchasing pistols for appreciation and profit would be money better spent elsewhere.

I agree. My NIB 8" Colt Python & my NIB 8" Colt Anaconda are keepers. I once had 16 Rohrbaughs in my safe. All were sold except for one. All were sold at realistic prices. I see some of the recent sales of Rohrbaughs bought on emotion are now back for sale at prices that won't be repeated. The money is made when it is bought, not sold. And yes, there are better investments.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »

I agree. My NIB 8" Colt Python & my NIB 8" Colt Anaconda are keepers. I once had 16 Rohrbaughs in my safe. All were sold except for one. All were sold at realistic prices. I see some of the recent sales of Rohrbaughs bought on emotion are now back for sale at prices that won't be repeated. The money is made when it is bought, not sold. And yes, there are better investments.

Well kind of................nine months a year it is a sellers market. Around Christmas, and tax time, it is a STRONG buyers market.

The Glocks, XD's, etc will NEVER GO UP in value. But your QUALITY limited and desirable models put the market to shame.Registered Magnums, Snake Guns, pre lock Smiths and Lugers all have done remarkably well.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
Also, older PPKs.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »

I have to agree with you on your buy statement Norm.

The old adage to buy low and sell high is true in all investments.

Through the years I have always found it a lot easier to sell high than it is to buy low.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
That works in real estate also, Bob, as you probably know well.