Author Topic: Help....Need replacement magazine release for R9  (Read 2927 times)

Offline MaddogR9

Help....Need replacement magazine release for R9
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
As a result of the business still in its move transition I haven't been able to acquire a replacement magazine release for my R9. I would appreciate any help or suggestions as to how I can get a replacement without waiting on the factory. I realize it's probably a long shot but had to at least try.   

I won't bore you with the story of what happened, but I truly miss my daily carry R9......plus my new VZ grips feel great...I have had it with me everyday for 6+ years???  Just doesn't feel right without it.

Thanks Matt   8)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Help....Need replacement magazine release for R9
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
Matt,

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear about your mag release. I would be interested to hear the story at some point if you are willing to share. I don't have any super helpful advice other than to see if a local machine shop can create a custom part based on the one you have. Best of luck to you and hopefully others will chime in with more useful advice.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »

I wouldn't go to the extreme of trying to custom manufacture a part.  Strong indications are that parts availability is delayed, not dead.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MaddogR9

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:56:30 AM »
Thanks for replies...  I didn't expect there was much chance someone had this part just sitting in stock.   I have access to a machine shop, and if this goes on much longer I may give it a try....especially not knowing the situation with the new ownership.  Our R9's are such quality works of art I would prefer to have the original part.  This situation was caused by My stupidity.....When I took my original grips off to put my new VZ's on- the pin holding the magazine release pulled out.  After cleaning the gun I began to put the release pin back in... I was watching TV at the same time while sitting at my kitchen counter......my fingers slipped letting the spring shoot the release clip across the room.  We have tore the room apart but no luck so far.  I just can't believe I can't find it.....

I am concerned by the lack of any response from the new owners... I have called and sent an email...... I believe if Karl Rohrbaugh still owned it I would have at least received an acknowledgement and a timeframe the part would be back to me......by now. 

One advantage I have is a 2nd R9S in my safe...a safe queen....but I hate to pull it out.  I may use it as an example to make a new part, but carrying it everyday in my crossbreed holster will mark it up.  I have ordered a custom IWB holster from Troy at Brigade GunLeather that will be much gentler on it and my original  ..... If this goes on I can at least carry the 2nd one until the new owners get it together.  Just very disappointed there is no response.....sets a bad tone for the change of ownership of such a great product.....but it's my fault I need the part.....  Again, thanks for feedback.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
MaddogR9, why not just remove the release from your NIB spare, use it on your EDC, and replace it with a new one when the factory is back in business?  You will keep your spare pristine and get to carry the one you've broken in and come to trust.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
MaddogR9, why not just remove the release from your NIB spare, use it on your EDC, and replace it with a new one when the factory is back in business?  You will keep your spare pristine and get to carry the one you've broken in and come to trust.

Sound advice backup.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MaddogR9

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
Good idea.... That will get me back up....still anxious about factory but great idea.

Thanks