Author Topic: Supressed R9??  (Read 6220 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Supressed R9??
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
In my quest to learn more about the pistol I was looking at what movies/shows this gun has had a role in.  From what I could find on http://www.imfdb.org.  One TV show, My Own Worst Enemy,  reportedly had a Rohrbaugh R9 with a suppressor on it in the first seasons first episode.

Question for the group, has anyone done this, or know of it being done in the real world?  I know, Hollywood does stuff normal people don't do, but.................

Fortunately I live in a state where suppressors are easy to acquire, and I do enjoy those that I have.  Not sure that I would ever want to buy one dedicated to the R9 pistol, but would like to shoot one if someone else has one  8)

Did the company ever produce a extended and threaded barrel or was that done by the armorer for the show?

Here is a shot of it in its case.

Also, does anyone know of movies/TV shows that this pistol has made an appearance in that I don't have listed below?

This is the list I have come up with so far.

TV - My Own Worst Enemy: Season 1 Episode 1 -- R9S

TV - Dark Blue: Season 1 Episode 3 -- R9S

TV - NCIS Los Angles: Season 2 Episode 10  -- R9S

TV - NCIS Los Angles: Season 5 Episode 15 -- R9S

TV - NCIS Los Angles: Season 6 Episode 16 -- R9S Stealth

Movie - Quantum of Solace -- R9S Stealth

Movie - Street Kings -- R9S

Any others known????

(Did the best I could on the model, some movie frames are hard to tell exactly what it is. 
All the pistols I saw had what appeared to be sights on them.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:00:49 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Supressed R9??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
During my time on the forum this is the only time that I can recall this subject. Eric may have an insight to the answer to your question.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
Very good job on the list here. All I can say is back around 2006, we sent the movie industry in the U.K. two R9 pistols to use as props in movies. We came VERY CLOSE to REPLACING the James Bond gun at that time! We had just won the 2005 Handgun of The Year Award and the folks overseas were actually contemplating upgrading the Walther PPK to the newest and hottest American made pistol ~ The Rohrbaugh R9 9mm. After much negotiations, the writers decided to stay with tradition and kept the PPK as the most famous Bond gun. . . . . . But be it known. . . . . . Your venerable R9 Pistols almost took the day by storm 10 years ago this year!

Just another one of those neat little stories about your little pistol. . . . . . The R9

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »
Didn't Angelina Jolie carry an R9 in a thigh holster in Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)?
I watched that movie several times, but couldn't identify the pistol for certain - I got distracted...

Steve S.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »
Didn't Angelina Jolie carry an R9 in a thigh holster in Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)?
I watched that movie several times, but couldn't identify the pistol for certain - I got distracted...

Steve S.

If you saw it in the film it was most likely a NAA Guardian.

If you saw it on a promotional poster then it was most likely a TJ's Custom Gunworks Stealth-1, in .45 ACP.  That pistol did not make it into the movie though.
(More info on that unique gun here. http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/Photos4/Stealth1.htm)

I can't find a mention of a Rohrbaugh being used in the film, even in the shots of the extensive his and hers armories.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:58:24 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »
Actually, the R9 was on the promotional shot of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. I didn't copy it fast enough and in two days, they switched it to the other gun. (Darn). The R9 was in the kitchen scene when Brad opened up all of the drawers with handguns. . . . . There were 4 R9s in the top drawer. Also, in the shed on the left wall was an R9 hanging there.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »
........The R9 was in the kitchen scene when Brad opened up all of the drawers with handguns. . . . . There were 4 R9s in the top drawer. Also, in the shed on the left wall was an R9 hanging there.
I looked at that picture and they did not seem like R9's to me.  The one in the garage did not seem right either.

This is a still from the kitchen drawers.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
Mike, you are quite a movie aficionado with more than just a cursory observation or two about the role of R9s in the cinema.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 10:39:53 PM »
I may be wrong, but those guns in the drawer look to me like a Masterpiece Arms .380 Protector.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »
Mike, you are quite a movie aficionado with more than just a cursory observation or two about the role of R9s in the cinema.

I hope it is more of a light hobby than an obsession................well right now, LOL.

However the SO would probably argue............errrrr........debate my own assessment.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 10:49:36 AM »
I may be wrong, but those guns in the drawer look to me like a Masterpiece Arms .380 Protector.

I think you are correct Norm.  I knew I had seen them before but I just could not come up with what they are.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
Ah ha. . . . . So much for that. All we ever saw was the movie and that scene went by quickly. Sorry for the miss-information on that.