Author Topic: Entry wounds/Exit wounds  (Read 7737 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Entry wounds/Exit wounds
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »

Sometimes when shooting outside, particularly when working on a gun review and being otherwise occupied, I have occasionally forgotten to put on my ear protection before shooting 1 (one) round.  I find anything beyond a .22 or so to be painful.  I do have some hearing loss, but I don't know for sure it is attributed to any shooting. 

Shooting without heairng protection is what I would describe as a "self-correcting error."

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »
I was only suggesting that potential hearing loss be one of the considerations when choosing a carry weapon. The April 11, 1986 shootout in Pinecrest, Fla was a game changer in LE carry caliber. The FBI first switched to the 10mm and later evolved to the .40 S&W and some agencies now carry the .357 Sig. Any card carrying Wyatt Earp wannabe can pack a .460 Rowland if he likes but it is hard to imagine a civilian scenario where anything more than a 9mm or .45 ACP is necessary for effective self-defense; especially given the improvement in today's ammunition.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
I was only suggesting that potential hearing loss be one of the considerations when choosing a carry weapon. The April 11, 1986 shootout in Pinecrest, Fla was a game changer in LE carry caliber. The FBI first switched to the 10mm and later evolved to the .40 S&W and some agencies now carry the .357 Sig. Any card carrying Wyatt Earp wannabe can pack a .460 Rowland if he likes but it is hard to imagine a civilian scenario where anything more than a 9mm or .45 ACP is necessary for effective self-defense; especially given the improvement in today's ammunition.

These are good insights from the sageful tracker.

I will say that a .45 out of a short barrel (XDS) is startlingly loud with quite the shocking BOOM.

Also, if in bear country I don't think I will downsize to protect hearing in the event some very rare attack were to ensue. Much the same, i find it a rare instance I'm ccw'ing for so I don't want to be too puny there either. I'm not saying 9, 380, 32, 22 or 25 is too puny, but each caliber is for each person to decide for each day in each given situation one were to find oneself in. Wow, it's awesome to be an American. Just one small example ; )

Anyway your points are great to consider in the whole of caliber selection. Thanks Tracker.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
Bear country is a different venue; the bear can have my hearing if he will take my well placed 10mm or .454 Casull round. My relationship with bears is like my deal with sharks. I don't go where they live if they will stay out of town.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:30:25 PM by tracker »