Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210662 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »
Well I just received the illusive gold dot 124 gr via us postal service from luckygunner ($.58 per round + $17 shipping for 6 boxes of ammo. Not too bad compared to what isaw it for everywhere else not to mention it is hard to find.)

Now to see how lucky this gunner is. Sure hope the issue is just that my R9 likes 124 gr instead of 115 gr.

For the record... Still waiting on a call back from the factory after 4 voicemails and 1 email. 1 voicemail was on a Sunday so I guess it doesn't REALLY count. Does anyone have a trick for contacting them? I'm certain that this can't be normal or else Rohrbaugh would have alot more complaining on this forum.

HELP.

I WANT TO LOVE MY ROHRBAUGH... BUT is where I live  :-X
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
FWIW JoshA I handled a used Covert at a LGS and fell in love with it, but balked at the $12xx-something price-less-tax for a used gun. I looked at it on two separate occasions and then walked-away. A few days later I took a CHL class where the instructor had carried all his life and so later during the range test I asked him if he'd heard of the Rohrbaugh and he had an R9 on him! As a backup (his primary carry being a P938)! Turns-out his had gone back/forth with the factory a number of times and got it to work well enough to carry (had spent of course a relative fortune on it), but the experience I think soured him on the idea of it being his primary. He wouldn't even take it out to show it to me because he didn't want the rest of the class, off to the side, to see it or to know about it.

I didn't buy the used Covert, got instead a Sig P938 like the instructor, but hang-out here nonetheless cuz lust is a powerful thing.

I think it's a pistol that is love-at-first-sight but it's not for everyone...   :'(
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:13:12 PM by MaxBlack »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
MaxBlack

Two questions:

-How do yo like the 938?

-How do you carry it and in what condition?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
That's the one Richard...thanks!  How do you archive all that stuff?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »
ENCOURAGING INFO/UPDATE

the R9 got her first taste of gold dots for the first time since I've owned the weapon. They were also 124 gr. this was the first time I have ran 124 gr.

THE RESULTS: out of 50 rounds only 2 FTE. Not perfect yet, but I am excited that she ran as well as she did.

I must admit too, after the first failure to eject I couldn't remember how hard I was grasping the piece, so I can already read you Rohrbaugh heads minds thinking that I limp wristed it. Maybe. Possibly. I chalked it up to that as my hand was a bit tired after 25 rounds.

On the the second failure in the box: for the last 10 rounds I wanted to try one hand shooting to see if this would produce more FTE's. Well 1 out of ten when shooting one handed.

Well I'm not so happy that I want to bet my life on the R9 (or my ability to shoot it) yet, but I'm very encouraged.

Where to from here?: my next efforts will be to start shooting only one clip at a time with the 124 gr to see if fatigue lessened will end in greater results.

#2 I will order some 147 grain and see how it functions.

NOTE: the 2 FTE's today with the 124 gr were notably different than the 115 gr. the 115 silver tip FTE's were lodging more deeply whereas these were almost out of the ejection port before they were caught by the slide going forward. Like the heavier round was noticeably doing a better job of kicking it out of the port. Make sense?

If the results continue to go this way I must say that kimber's approach to recommending the heavier 124 or 157 gr for their solo would be the way I would encourage Rohrbaughs brochures to lead folks. There is no sense that every single owner has to plink through hundreds of dollars in order to find out this info : ) I wish I had found this sight sooner, BUT I didn't. Thanks soooooo much for the great shared info about a great pistol.

On a little more frustrating side of things... Day 5 and call number 5 and 1 email without a return call yet. I understand that they may be busy, but that isn't the customer service I think that folks deserve. I love ya Maria, but perhaps you need an assistant if you are too overloaded. This is not a critical remark. It is kindly spoken truth. Again, not mean hearted at all, but a pistol of the highest caliber should be accompanied by the same type of service. FINALLY on the topic, an EDC weapon of the $1000 caliber will need parts and service. Why expect customers to just twiddle their thumbs and keep calling you when their guns need help? What about people trying to order guns? Just sayin...

I will continue to post until the moderator takes my annoying drivel off of the forum or I have resolved the situation completely.

Thanks so much for the helpful comments, the reply's and reading this stuff. You are some good dudes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:38:17 AM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »

JoshA,

There is nothing annoying about your comments and concerns. Helping, assisting, and advising is the lifeblood of this forum. One other suggestion that is probably not related to FTE but something mentioned long ago in this forum is to wait a few minutes between mags on an extended firing session to allow a cooling period; won't hurt and might help.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
Thank you Tracker. I should have mentioned that in my last post. I did read that you should let the gun cool between clips (my hand was thankful) in someone else's helpful post and I DID employment that technique in today's mostly successful session.

I think someone should start a page called Rohrbaugh newbie. Lol. It's more than point and pull for sure. Fortunately I have some extra time right now and a few extra bucks to experiment with.

Thanks alot for caring and commenting.

Hopefully I will have some more success to report in the next day or so.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
Quote from: JoshA
Well I'm not so happy that I want to bet my life on the R9 (or my ability to shoot it) yet, but I'm very encouraged.

Hopefully I will have some more success to report in the next day or so.
IMO you should test as you would need the R9 in a real-life situation i.e. take the cold pistol out and fire all the rounds in the magazine.

Then you avoid any heating problems and (probably/possibly) any limp-wrist issues e.g. from fatigue.

Take your other guns to the range but treat the R9 as for emergency-only and see how it does.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »
Sounds smart Max. This is kinda on the lines of my thought with firing a clip or two at a time, but better. I like it. This will be my new testing methodology. Thanks for the input. If I can do that on a semi regular basis and experience success it will build confidence. If not, well I can at least eliminate a few problems from the equation. Thanks- to the Max.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
Sounds smart Max. This is kinda on the lines of my thought with firing a clip or two at a time, but better. I like it. This will be my new testing methodology. Thanks for the input. If I can do that on a semi regular basis and experience success it will build confidence. If not, well I can at least eliminate a few problems from the equation. Thanks- to the Max.
I hope it works and you can attain a degree of comfort JoshA.

FWIW it seems I read early-on about the R9 something like "shoot a little, carry a lot" which has no doubt to do with shooting a powerful round from a [very] compact platform. If the R9 were built like a tank it would not be as sleek and comfortable--no doubt!

;)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
Point well put!

I ONLY want to fire the piece enough to carry with confidence. So far I just keep having instances that necessitate for range time to gain confidence.

I am going with your advice of firing one clip and seeing how things go. Thanks again Max.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
The one or two cold mags with your carry ammo is what many of us fire at the range after the initial reliability shooting sessions. Do whatever works for you.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:02:23 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »
In the past when I had problems (now a remote memory) I've always had a prompt response from Maria and even from Karl.  Are you sure you are not using out of date numbers or incorrect email address?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »
They have a new website.  Try these:
631-242-3175
800-803-2233
fax:  631-242-3182
could also google Rohrbaugh firearms, their website has an email link that should be current.  If not, there is a serious problem up there!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »

As noted on the voicemail -- the factory is moving.   Difficulty getting ahold of the company is directly related to this move.  I have more details here:

[url]http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7303.0/url]

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com