Author Topic: VZ Grips  (Read 31079 times)

Offline 4mallard

Re: VZ Grips
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
Gentlemen,

I just got my checkered, black cherry grips this afternoon. Fast, fast service if there ever were such. Yankee, they must be reading your mail, it's that fast. The grips are beauties, and will go on my custom R9s, if I ever get it customized. Having trouble deciding who to send it to for custom finish and checkering on trigger guard, and front and back grip straps. Decisions, decisions. Hmmm...Suggestions?

Kindest regards,

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)
Gunfighter Extraordinaire

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »
mallard it's hard to beat the work of Bob Cogan of (Accurate Plating & Weaponry)

http://www.apwcogan.com/
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
Thinking of adding VZ grips based on info here.  Any suggestions regarding carbon fiber vs. smooth other than color options? (I don't care about pretty as much as function)
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
Paul @ Designer Grips makes some nice grips for the R9 with checkering or smooth, very similar to VZs. He was making grips for the R9 before VZ got into it.

I have a set from Designer Grips on my pup and am very happy with them.

http://www.designergrips.com/

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
Thanks, I'll check them out!  John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Backup, I have VZ's and a pair of Designer's.  I was disappointed with Designers on function and looks.  They looked too "plastic" and cheap to me and the grip just did not feel up to par with the VZ's.
I bought the Designer checkering and the smooth VZ.

However, I modified the Designer grips with a dremel by dishing out a thumb groove all the way across the top of the panel for the thumb to rest in rather shooting left or right-handed.
This also made the grips look much better.  The cheap plastic gloss is gone and now it is broken up with a dull black/bllue.  

Now it has function and looks.

Sorry, I do not know how to post pics.

If I had to pic one, I  would definitely pic VZ.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
Thanks also Reinz.  I pulled up the Designers website and didn't like the appearance as much tho it's hard to tell from pictures sometimes, especially when only in one view.  If I go w/VZ I'd like to know if there is any material difference between Carbon Fiber and smooth VZ's in grip/texture.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
According to the website, the regular smooth and the checkered grips are G-10 .

The carbon fiber are actually a matrix of carbon fiber And G-10.

Offline xaman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
I can't help you with the difference between vZ grip textures, but I have a pair of VZ carbon Fiber grips that are quite grippy, and provide an enhanced grip over the factory ones.  The rounded edges and slight palm swell make for a much better fit as well.

Oddly enough, I just placed an order this afternoon with designergrips (just for a different color), so I can post some comparison photos after the arrive.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:14:14 PM by xaman »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 09:25:37 PM »
I can't help you with the difference between vZ grip textures, but I have a pair of VZ carbon Fiber grips that are quite grippy, and provide an enhanced grip over the factory ones.  The rounded edges and slight palm swell make for a much better fit as well.

I agree totally.

And I believe it was Moonshine who had a great analogy on another post , to paraphrase, saying that the VZ's make the R9 feel like a pistol rather than a piece of lumber/ 1x2 (?).

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 09:55:22 PM »

I agree totally.

And I believe it was Moonshine who had a great analogy on another post , to paraphrase, saying that the VZ's make the R9 feel like a pistol rather than a piece of lumber/ 1x2 (?).

Saw that post...why I'm buying.  I like "grippy" so I guess I'll spring for the carbon fibers.  Thanks to all for the helpful responses.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
One of best moves you can make.  You won't be sorry.

I'll probalbly end up VZ's on all of mine.

Offline Writer_Ron

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
Well, your waits are over. Here are a few Proto's.

I just installed a pair of checkered black-cherry VZ grips (identical to those in the photo from VZ_Grips earlier post) on my plain-vanilla stainless R-9.

They look great, feel good, and we're easy to install. And also have niftier screw heads.

For the record, the OEM grip panels came off easily... there were no problems with an errant trigger-return spring when I lifted the right panel... and the pin holes and screw holes on the new panels fit perfectly.

Both pup and papa are happy.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
Fine looking, I have a set of those also. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
Ron.  Excellent.  Enjoy!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln