Author Topic: Now I'm really Confused!  (Read 10064 times)

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
Now I'm really Confused!
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:37:09 AM »
Not too long ago, my attention was grabbed by sweet lookin' Guardian 380, and she is still around. Now there is a Beautiful Seecamp 380 that is wooing me to reach for my wallet. What to do? So many Guns...so little time.
 Both of these little Gems are rather hard to come by in my neck 'o the woods, and one is priced a bit more than the other but still do-able. I need some guidance. I'd ask my wife but she would jusy give me that look... >:(
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Now I'm really Confused!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 12:52:13 AM »
I wouldn't buy either one of them but that is just me.

Offline robertmeco

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:56:19 AM »
Not too long ago, my attention was grabbed by sweet lookin' Guardian 380, and she is still around. Now there is a Beautiful Seecamp 380 that is wooing me to reach for my wallet. What to do? So many Guns...so little time.
 Both of these little Gems are rather hard to come by in my neck 'o the woods, and one is priced a bit more than the other but still do-able. I need some guidance. I'd ask my wife but she would jusy give me that look... >:(
Mark

I own the Seecamp and love it easy to conceal and beautiful.
robertmeco

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »
Mark:

Even though I value my G380 about as highly as any gun in my collection, it has been given a lot of personal attention -- "melted," high-polished, Gutter Snipe tritium sights, fish-scale slide serrations, sterling grips, engraved monogram, a variety of Hedley holsters, etc.  It's also unusual in that it is one of the so-called "Early Birds," being the 64th G380 produced. I now have more invested in it than the cost of an LWS380, which is smaller and lighter.  If you have to choose one or the other, I would go for the Seecamp unless you plan to customize the pistol -- and there's not much to do to a Seecamp other than have it engraved and perhaps add some custom grips.  I plan to get a Seecamp .380 myself one of these days.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:10 AM »
Go with the Seecamp....I value mine as much as other precision instruments that I own.

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:43 AM »
Fly, Ok now you have too many Breitlings! ;D I have an Aerospace as well.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
Get the Seecamp! It is a work of art. :o
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Now I'm really Confused!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:08:05 PM »
>>I own both a Guardian and Seecamp in .380.  I had to wait a YEAR for the Seecamp, so if you are inclined for that gun don't dilly dally.  And of the two guns out of the box I much prefer the Seecamp...one major reason being the fact the Seecamp is so much lighter than the Guardian (~14oz with full clip on Seecamp & ~21oz on Guardian, full clip).  Believe me - being 7oz lighter the Seecamp means you are much more likely to keep it on you...or perhaps better said - there have been numerous times I have NOT carried my Guardian in a pocket because it feels so heavy for such a small pistol.

That all said...  I am eagerly awaiting for my Rohrbaugh .380...!  And based on the look and feel of the R-9...I highly suspect the R-.380 will become my favorite .380 to carry...and I have quite a few .380 pocket guns.  Eric keeps teasing me about the R-.380 because he knows how badly I want one.  The last I heard from him he asked "When do you want your R-.380...?"  My quick response was "YESTERDAY"...and of course I haven't heard one word more about it since.  Last I heard the R-.380 will be available in June or July...which isn't a long time to wait.

Sooooo...if I were you...as much as I like both the Guardian and especially the Seecamp - I would wait for a Rohrbaugh .380 to become available if you are looking for the Cat's meow in a .380...TW<<

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 12:50:17 AM »
What's up Tracker? Why do you feel that way? They both appear to be fine pistolas, in fit and finish. Please let me know for curiosity's sake.
Thanks to all who replied...I don't know. I should just flip a coin. They're both on my "Gotta Have" list.
Later, Mark
P.S.- I think I need a bigger Safe :-/

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 07:41:57 AM »
* * * P.S.- I think I need a bigger Safe :-/

Now you're talking, Mark!   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »
I think you will find that the fit & finish of the Seecamp is far better than the NAA 380.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 09:47:28 AM »
I personally have no experience with the NAA..

But I have with the Seecamp,both .32 and .380..

I highly recommend the Seecamps!! ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
endorsement.Re: Now I'm really Confused!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 01:30:21 PM »
Mark,
The main reason is that I own a 1965 PPK and am very
happy with it. I just have no reason to own another .380.
Secondarily, I am influenced by Teddy Jacobson's opinions,
even though I made an exception with the Rohrbaugh.
You might check his blogspots and websites to see what
I mean. On the other hand, there are a lot of Seecamp
afficianados which is a compelling endorsement.
Check his comments on actionsbyt.com and you can make
your own decision. I personally have no experience with
either but would go with the Seecamp based on the
comments here.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 08:37:38 PM »
I personally own a Guardian .380 that has been customized by the NAA custom shop and by Teddy Jacobson.  I don't own a Seecamp but have been researching the .380.

NAA Guardian advantages:

1)  You can get it quickly.

2)  It will digest anything within reason.

3)  It is built like a tank.  Shoot it as much as you want without worry.

4)  Many good sight options through the NAA custom shop.

5)  NAA has excellent customer service if anything goes wrong.

NAA disadvantages:

1)  Built like a tank.  It is pushing the upper limit in terms of weight for a pocket gun.

Seecamp advantages

1)  Lightest weight .380 you can buy that also has a reputation for reliability.

2)  From what I understand, quality is top notch.

Seecamp disadvantages

1)  Only a few types of ammo will function 100%, and even with these, Larry Seecamp recommends testing individual lots.  The one magazine test I read indicated extreme ammo sensitivity issues.

2)  Very heavy recoil.

3)  Heel clip style magazine release makes clearing certain malfunctions much more difficult if they do occur.

4)  No sights or way to install sights.

My NAA .380 is my single most often carried gun.  It is my choice if I need a pocket gun as a primary gun.  The Seecamp would be more my choice if I were looking for a backup gun.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:57 PM »
Thanks, Given all of the quality info I have recieved over the last few Days on this subject, I have made my choice. I went with the Seecamp for a few reasons. First and foremost was availability. Since they are so hard to find in the first place, and this one was available to me now, I went for it. After years of haulin' Colt .380's around, the wieght of the Guardian wasn't even an issue with me, and it will be next on the "Must Have" list. I should have the Seecamp by the end of the week since it is coming to me from Nebraska, and I'll let you all know how she runs. Thanks again to all who responded.
Later, Mark