Author Topic: R9s Front Sight  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
R9s Front Sight
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
Ok, I am becoming familiar with my new Rohrbaugh.  It is a fine pistol and I am very pleased with it.  

Just one thing--the front sight is virtually invisible in most light conditions.  

Has anyone come up with a good way to highlight the front sight.  I have a drop of nail polish on mine currently, but it only helps a bit.  

Do we have night sight or tritium options available on the market yet?  

Thanks in advance...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

ccoorreeyy

Re: R9s Front Sight
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:52:27 PM »
Night sights have been tried but from what I read failed fairly fast.  I know lots of people would never do this but for me having dimples milled into the slide then adding red epoxy paint made a WORLD of difference in being able to focus/see the sights.  I just took a quick picture to give an idea of what it looks like.

PS.  I promise to get out and do some testing soon with review to follow.  I can say that I have shot 2 mags through it and am VERY impressed thus far.  I'm guessing 50% reduction in recoil from the porting.  

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »
Those sight mods are great.  Can you tell me how you did them please.  

I have a drill press, and am contemplating doing my own mods...

**We Don't Rent Pigs***

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »
I had all the work done by Cogan Customs in AL.  I am not brave enough to do that type work myself on my Rohrbaughs.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »
Here's what I plan on doing to mine.
1) Find some white nail polish.  I'm sure there has to be some somewhere...probably some teeny-bopper store or something.
2) Go to www.glowinc.com and buy a small bottle of their super glow paint, apply on top of white nail polish.
3) Get clear nail polish and seal the glow paint.  

As far as drilling a dimple in the front sight, it's not going to get you more surface area, so I'm not sure of what that brings other than possibly keeping the paint on longer.   Maybe since it's smaller it'd be slightly more accurate, but I'm primarily concerned about acquisition of the sight.  

ps...I'm not knocking ccoorreeyy's pistol, just a "poor man's approach."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:09:48 AM by BytorJr »

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 11:07:58 PM »
This works well for me, although not nearly as nice as Corey's solution;

Sally Hansen "White On" available at your local Walgreens.  :)

Rick

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the white polish tip!!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:15:50 AM »
Rick, that looks great.  How has it held up?  I might have to try that on my other one.  I had tried some of the glow paint and did not think it coated near as good as what you have done.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:36:18 AM »
The instructions I read on glowinc.com are basically those that I wrote.  I think the GLow paint is almost translucent; hence having a white paint as the "primer" so to speak.  Followed by clear to seal the glow.   May try that and give a report.

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
Rick, that looks great.  How has it held up?  I might have to try that on my other one.  I had tried some of the glow paint and did not think it coated near as good as what you have done.

I've had it on for about a month. Still looks like the day I put it on. Used painters tape to get the edges right. Nail polish remover is a must to clean up mistakes.

Rick

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:03:01 PM by RickP »